Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #21 
jadaBlu

This article does cover the reasons for BG algae it's the last one listed in the article:

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/tips-and-...e-war-on-algae

I hope it helps!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #22 
snowflake311

I had a big BG algae problem so bad I went crazy one day and ripped my tank apart and did it all over. This was on a 80gal planted tank too. It got on the substrate more then anything.

I learned my problem was a dirty filter. My filter was so gross . I cleaned the filter out good every few weeks. Low o2 will cause this to become a problem.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #23 
marktrc

bga still has not come back and the plants look greener. also what I thought was possibly some last remaining bga in the base of some plants growing up against the glass has finally turned gray. it was a delay reaction even though I stopped the black out.

also hornwort with bga that I had put in the closet has no bga. I put it in my 55g. the hornwort is not growing so im still trying to adjust light etc but no bga. im thinking blackouts are the way to go. trying to figure out the right amount of air stones and circulation to help plants grow without bga.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #24 
marktrc

I see a tiny bit of bga in the tank. ill black out again once the plants grow back a little. prob in a week. I also see some black beard algae. this algae thing sucks.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #25 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I just moved out my live plants to my 55 gallon, and I just put in fake plants and did a blackout. Two of my plants had already died because of the blackout I tried to do before that, so I just got fake plants instead. It seems to have helped out a lot. There's a bit still left on the glass, but I think it's turning brown and my snail is also slowly eating it.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #26 
mersf559

iwent on a black out (no aquarium lights on) for 2 days then really limited my light use to about 5-6 hours a day and my BGA went away. I have a zebra nerite snail but he wasnt really doing any thing but taking a poop like crazy lol
mersf559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #27 
equatics

Vacuuming the gravel is what did it for me. And 50% water changes.

I recommend your using the Maracyn or other Erythomycin as directed. I really don't think it will do anything bad to water or plants, or Nitrifying bacteria (good bacteria).

Steven
equatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #28 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by equatics View Post
Vacuuming the gravel is what did it for me. And 50% water changes.

I recommend your using the Maracyn or other Erythomycin as directed. I really don't think it will do anything bad to water or plants, or Nitrifying bacteria (good bacteria).

Steven
+1!
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #29 
marktrc

did a second black out but used foil and masking tape instead of towels. apparently the towels didnt block out all the light. now I see no sign of bga. I did it for 5 days. the fish seem stressed and one female betta died. they didnt come out to eat much because it was so dark. plants look fine.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #30 
equatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
This article does cover the reasons for BG algae it's the last one listed in the article:

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/tips-and-...e-war-on-algae

I hope it helps!
This is from the part on BGA:

"Blue-green algae is a form of bacteria and not an algae. It will cover a large surface area if not treated immediately."

I would hope that people find a better list of causes of BGA. You really have to change the causes of the BGA before it will really go away permanently. BGA exists in the source of my tapwater.

As I said earlier, my problem was too much dissolved organic compounds in the water, and vacuuming the gravel a couple of times solved the problem.

I think the tank should then be treated as soon as possible with one of the different antibiotics like Maracin.

Sorry for repeating, but it is imperative that you find the cause(s) making the BGA bloom before trying other methods, and then use Erythromycin.

I struggled for two months or more with BGA, and I'd like to help anyone I can take care of it permanently in less time and with less losses.

Steven
equatics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, bga, blue-green algae