Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #11 
RainbowsHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineandbubbles View Post
Hey everyone! Thanks for your replies. Some have helped, some havent. I live in Australia and we dont have a walmart or anything like that. Bubbles in located in my room and so i cant get a massive tank. A few gallon tank is gunna be huge and I honestly dont feel I have room for it. Ive got a busy schedule and im always out and when i come home im exhuasted so im gunna definatly put extra effort into changing the water. The tank I have is also specially designed for this fish and in Australia all the fighting fish ive ever seen have tanks almost exactly like this one. Or are plain glass.. Mine is plastic. So im still abit confused with somethings but im sure I will figure them out!
Betta tank size is kind of... Controversial, I think? Oftentimes in pet stores they keep Betta in VERY small cups as a temporary method of "storage" before they're sold. Even in America, tanks that are sold specifically for Bettas are often very, very small. I was having trouble understanding why a Betta needed a bigger tank until someone explained it to me like this:

If you buy a puppy, you can probably keep it in a closet and it will "survive" just fine. You could feed it, put down some newspaper and change it every day, even install a glass door so the puppy could see you--but it would be miserable. Betta fish are the same way; they can SURVIVE in a very small tank, but they're happiest in a large tank. You don't necessarily have to get a 10 gallon tank, but you might be surprised to find your fish much more active, energetic, and responsive to you in a 2.5-5 gallon (9L-19L) tank. And the 2.5 gallon tanks are surprisingly small and cheap! It might be worth looking around a local shop or pet store just to see what they have on one of your off days.

I think the reason many stores sell such small betta tanks is because betta are usually bought as an aesthetic pet. People like them because they're pretty, but not always because they want to love for and care for them like a cat or dog.

Last edited by RainbowsHaven; 08-30-2013 at 05:31 AM.
RainbowsHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #12 
christineandbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsHaven View Post
Betta tank size is kind of... Controversial, I think? Oftentimes in pet stores they keep Betta in VERY small cups as a temporary method of "storage" before they're sold. Even in America, tanks that are sold specifically for Bettas are often very, very small. I was having trouble understanding why a Betta needed a bigger tank until someone explained it to me like this:

If you buy a puppy, you can probably keep it in a closet and it will "survive" just fine. You could feed it, put down some newspaper and change it every day, even install a glass door so the puppy could see you--but it would be miserable. Betta fish are the same way; they can SURVIVE in a very small tank, but they're happiest in a large tank. You don't necessarily have to get a 10 gallon tank, but you might be surprised to find your fish much more active, energetic, and responsive to you in a 2.5-5 gallon (9L-19L) tank. And the 2.5 gallon tanks are surprisingly small and cheap! It might be worth looking around a local shop or pet store just to see what they have on one of your off days.

I think the reason many stores sell such small betta tanks is because betta are usually bought as an aesthetic pet. People like them because they're pretty, but not always because they want to love for and care for them like a cat or dog.

your definatly right. I think i got it cause it was pretty. And family say there like $10 AUS so if it dies just buy a new one. But id feel bad if it died so ill try to keep up maintenance on my small tank until I can buy a new one
christineandbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #13 
BatCakes

I would just say, if you have any pet stores nearby, just go visit one! I only have my betta in a 1.5 gallon tank, and spending a lot of time on this site, I actually expected a 5 gallon to be pretty massive, WRONG! Looking at the actual tank can help clear up a lot of misunderstandings. The 2.5 gallon tanks are adorable! Perfect size for a desk. You can put a heater and a couple plants or ornaments in there, and it would be wonderful for your fish.

Like I said, just look at them, you'd be surprised how LITTLE space a larger tank will even take up!
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote