Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Betta doesn't flare his gills???

Hai everyone in the Betta community!!

I got my first ever pet 2 weeks ago and he is a lovely lavender orange and pinkish butterfly dalmation veil tail! He has always been active ever since I first got him. He flares about and just buzzes around the tank all the time! He is suffering from mild fin rot and a very early stage of ick right now but is getting much better!! Today when I put him next to my friends betta in their little cups (we were cleaning their tanks and thought we should let them exercise) Her betta (Squirt) flared and everything while mine did not pay much attention to him. But when my Betta (Sushi) did flare his gills did not expand? His right gill goes out more than his left when he breathes and I have never seem him expand his gills when he flares. He also seems to breathe a little faster than my friends betta. Are his gills damaged? Or is he just weird like that? xD
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Not all Betta fish are aggressive and not all flare a full on flare. My male rarely ever flares, usually he turns tail and hides, or he plays dead.
That being said, if it looks like he's breathing quickly, he could have ammonia poisoning/burns. How big is your tank, and how often do you clean it?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #3 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

My tank is 1.5 Gal sadly, I can't afford a bigger tank because I am a college student. :c I have been cleaning his tank every two days. I add a 1.5 tsp of dissolved aquarium salt to help with his fin rot and treat him with quick cure and betta safe. Recently me and my friend got easy balance to keep the water chemistry stable. I just started using it today. I don't see any burns but I do see lines on his gills. I can't remember what it is...stress lines? On the edge of his gills it looks golden/rusty colored. He isn't gasping for air all the time though.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 
Noctredors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiRainbowMuffin View Post
My tank is 1.5 Gal sadly, I can't afford a bigger tank because I am a college student. :c I have been cleaning his tank every two days. I add a 1.5 tsp of dissolved aquarium salt to help with his fin rot and treat him with quick cure and betta safe. Recently me and my friend got easy balance to keep the water chemistry stable. I just started using it today. I don't see any burns but I do see lines on his gills. I can't remember what it is...stress lines? On the edge of his gills it looks golden/rusty colored. He isn't gasping for air all the time though.
How long have you been doing the salt treatment? Don't do it for more than 10 days because it can be bad for your Betta.
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #5 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah I know I started the salt treatment on sunday :P
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Also I found out that my live plant bulb I had was a dud and smelled horrible and had some white moss on it. I trashed it right away and now Sushi seems to be breathing kind of heavy. His beard expands about 3 cm out of his gills is that normal? My friends betta's beard and gills don't expand nearly as much as mine. I read that he might have inflamed gills or ammonia poisoning. How long will it take for him to heal?

Tags
betta, gills