Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 
AnimalLov3

Please help!

So today is the day I'm SUPPOSED to be cleaning earl's tank.. But I'm having an issue. Normally(aka. Last time) to get him out I put a jar in the tank, he went in it, and I took the jar out. But now he knows what I'm doing and he won't go in it. I don't know how to get him out and I don't want to make him more fearful of me..(pretty sure it's to late though..) I feel so bad.
AnimalLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 
JelloBetta

Don't feel bad for yourself!

A betta is a curious type of fish, there is no reason to be worried about Earl's behaviour. Chip is hard to get out of his tank, too.

If you have dried bloodworms put them in the jar, he should approach you and go in to eat. Betta fish love bloodworms, he should swim over faster then before.
JelloBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
AnimalLov3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloBetta View Post
Don't feel bad for yourself!

A betta is a curious type of fish, there is no reason to be worried about Earl's behaviour. Chip is hard to get out of his tank, too.

If you have dried bloodworms put them in the jar, he should approach you and go in to eat. Betta fish love bloodworms, he should swim over faster then before.
I feel bad because he's already a VERY skittish Betta, and I've been trying go get him to warm up to me. But one of the techniques I tried was to scoop him up in the jar, but I may have tried for too long..he was freaking out. I think I made his fear worse..

I actually don't, I have food. But Earl is a picky stubborn butt and only eats the food that floats. I tried tilting the jar at an angle and dropping food at the top, and I was going to scoop him up once he was over it, but he figured out that was what the jar was for, and he wouldn't go over it. It was actually kind of amusing watching him try to get the food without going over the jar. And once he saw my hand he fled.

I don't want to stress him out, but he(okay maybe I did it..) derooted his plastic and live plant. And the heater is all slimy, as was the jar I had in there because be liked going in and out of it.(but it was the plastic one he came in, and it has a huge crack on the bottom(not cutting his fins, it fits together just can't hold water) and so I can't take him out in it, and as soon as I changed the cup with a a jar he stopped going in.

He's my first Betta, I'm worried I'm gonna kill him.. Sorry if im freakin out a tiny bit to much..

He's in a 1.5 gallon tank so I have to do a basically 95-100% water change.
AnimalLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Does your tank have a filter or live plants? If so, you don't have to take him out, you can do 2 - 3 partial water changes a week, without ever removing him.
I just saw that you do have live plants, so with live plants, most people say you should never do large water changes over 70% or you risk damaging and killing the plant. So that being said, 35% - 50% water changes a few times a week is what you'll need to do - and as an added benefit, you won't stress out your guy.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote