Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 
Robthenewbie

Can someone give me some pointers?

Hi all!

I'm new to keeping fish. I got a gold fish from a carnival but sadly it had ammonia poisoning and died shortly afterwards :( I was thinking of getting a male betta. So I had a look into them and they look like beautiful fish. I was thinking of buying the 'Love Betta 7 litre tank' from pets at home; It has a built in heater and filter. I then read into cycling the tank before buying buying and introducing the fish. I read about 'Fishless' cycling, can anyone give me tips on how to do this? Also, if I did get a Betta, my family like to spend weekends away (about once or so a month) Would I be able to leave the fish for two days without feeding?

As I said I am a complete newbie to owning a fish so have no idea what I'm doing, so an idiot proof guide please :)

Thanks, Rob
Robthenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #2 
Deanna01

Hi! It's great that you want to get a tank with a filter and a heater--your fish will be much healthier and happier that way!

I have only done fish-in cycling with lots of live plants, so I can't advise you there. But I looked at that tank, and for the money, you can definitely get a nicer, bigger tank. Also, it seems to have a light, but not a heater.

You might look at some of the Fluval tanks, and just add a heater to them. I have a Fluval Chi and the Fluval Spec V (both roughly 19 liters--5 gallons), and they don't take up much space while offering ample swimming room for your betta. They are also very quiet, which I very much enjoy. The Spec V is just an all-around great tank.

You could also, though, for the money, go with a plain 10-gallon aquarium kit, which would give you the option to divide it later if you decide to get another betta. (They are very addictive!) There are a lot of options! In general, the way you decorate your tank will add more to it than the look of the tank itself. What I have found is that I enjoy the bettas more when they have more space in which to explore, because they are much more active then.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3 
Robthenewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Hi! It's great that you want to get a tank with a filter and a heater--your fish will be much healthier and happier that way!

I have only done fish-in cycling with lots of live plants, so I can't advise you there. But I looked at that tank, and for the money, you can definitely get a nicer, bigger tank. Also, it seems to have a light, but not a heater.

You might look at some of the Fluval tanks, and just add a heater to them. I have a Fluval Chi and the Fluval Spec V (both roughly 19 liters--5 gallons), and they don't take up much space while offering ample swimming room for your betta. They are also very quiet, which I very much enjoy. The Spec V is just an all-around great tank.

You could also, though, for the money, go with a plain 10-gallon aquarium kit, which would give you the option to divide it later if you decide to get another betta. (They are very addictive!) There are a lot of options! In general, the way you decorate your tank will add more to it than the look of the tank itself. What I have found is that I enjoy the bettas more when they have more space in which to explore, because they are much more active then.
Thank you for the advice :) I will look into that tomorrow :)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #4 
justmel

Deanna seems to have given you great information, so I'm not going to add to that, but you asked about leaving you betta for the weekend. A lot of members here fast their bettas 1 day every week, also bettas are shipped from one end of the country to the other & oversea and don't eat then. I think you would be safe to leave you guy for a weekend every now & then without having to worry about not feeding him. Just do a water change before you leave so he has nice fresh water while you are away. Any more then 2, maybe 3 days and I (personally) wouldn't like leaving my bettas without food.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 
Robthenewbie

Thanks for the information justmel :)
Old 08-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 
NozzALa

Yeah, if you have a little bit of money, I'd definitely go for a Fluval model. I have the Spec III and it's great, has a nice internal filter, all you have to do is add a heater in the back and you're good.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote