Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #1 
summersea

How do I acclimate 2 bettas at the same time...

So yesterday I went and bought a 10g tank to support my new addiction (i.e. bettas :) and in the process brought home a new crown tail betta (he is so gorgeous and he just spoke to me that I had to give in!).

Here is where the problem comes in. I set up the tank and was getting ready to acclimate Artie (new guy) when I realized it was leaking. Thankfully Artie was loose yet so I put him in a glass vase for the time being (hate to do that without a heater but hopefully only for today) and had to completely undo all my hard work. Tonight I am going to buy another 10g (hopefully wont have the same problem).

Then comes the second problem. My betta Fabio at work has to come home. He was in my 29g community tank and seemed fine over the last 4 almost 5 weeks. However, yesterday he became extremely aggressive toward my other fish and now one of my rasbora is missing an eye (otherwhise a healthy fish that is still swimming and eating - just missing an eye).

So, tonight not only do I have to return my previous tank and purchase a new one but have to divide it and acclimate two bettas. Ugh.

The new one from last night had stress lines before bed but looked better this morning. He ate a couple pellets and other than what looks like a scrape on the top of his head (probably from being fiesty and trying to jump out of his closed cup when I was acclimating him) he seems fine.

Should I acclimate both bettas at the same time or one before the other?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Attached Images

summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can acclimate both at once, that will be fine. There's a few ways you can do it, you can either float them in their cups with not much water and every 5-10 minutes add a little bit of tank water in until their cups are full. Or you can drip acclimate them with an airline tubing. One end of the tube goes in the water, you can tape it down or something and then the other end is tied and you start the suction, you can tighten or loosen the knots for more of a drip instead of a flow from the tank. Drip acclimation is a bit easier on the fish, it allows them to steadily adjust to the new chemistry rather than sort of being thrown in.

But there are no reasons you can't do both at the same time or if you're more comfortable doing one first then the other, that's fine too.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #3 
summersea

So, how do I acclimate Artie, the new guy? He is currently in a glass vase as a temporary home until tonight. Do I need to put him back in his cup to acclimate him? I am afraid of over stressing him.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

In the vase, you can just take out most of the water, and then take water from the new tank and add in a few Tablespoons ever 5-10 minutes until about an hour passes up and voila, into the tank he can go

(sorry for getting back so late, had Band Camp this week)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #5 
summersea

No problem ;) That is actually how I did it, hoping it would work lol! Now he is busy spending all his time flaring at Fabio, who could care less. Silly boys!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #6 
TakingthePlunge

Artie is gorgeous! I would have snapped him up too!
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 
summersea

Thanks! He is definitely flashier than my other boys but so much grumpier! lol Up close he has an old grandpa-looking face! So cute!