Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #11 
Asira

Thanks everyone
Okay, so if I want to buy the 50g, adding how many girls would solve the problem? The reason they are not staying in my 20g is because that's my spawn-tank that I want to use again in about a month, it was just as a temporary solution.
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #12 
10asartin

I would at least try to get 30 girls to begin with.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #13 
Asira

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
I would at least try to get 30 girls to begin with.
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think you need quite that many...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #15 
10asartin

You are most definitely welcome to experiment with whatever number you want, but that was just my opinion.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #16 
Blue Fish

The "rule of thumb" that was I told is that you need a gallon per inch of fish. Some of my girls are easily two inches long...so if it was me, in a fifty, I'd do about 20 or 25 girls. This gives them enough space while not overdoing the bioload.

I'm pretty new to sororities, so I totally bow to the more experienced members, BUT, so far all of my introductions (including the initial introduction, and then later additions of new girls), tank rescapes, and even tank moves have all gone really smoothly, with no biting or fussing after the very first introduction day or so. Mine even hang out together in little groups. I think the key to this is having LOTS and LOTS of cover. I found a silk ivy-type vine that's about seven feet long at my LFS, (It's made for terrariums) and has suction cups on it. I bunched it up and suctioned it all across the back of my 20g long, and my guys are all tucked in there every morning when I go to feed them. I think this gives them a sense of security and having their own place which really helps them in general be able to cope with one another and not fight. That ivy is all across the back, and then there's a great deal of silk plants at all levels through the entire tank, to the point that I have to search for girls and count them to make sure that everyone is safe and accounted for. You cannot have too many plants in a sorority, and if you think it's starting to look like a jungle, you're probably there. :)

At least that's my opinion/short experience. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote