Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #1 
Mitra

Fluorite covered by which type of sand for betta and ADF

Hi I have a betta and two african dwarf frogs in a 10 gallon. I want to switch to Fluorite but i can not find any concrete information as to whether Fluorite is safe for dwarf frogs (size and sharpness of the clay pebbles). So I want to have an inch of Fluorite covered by an inch of CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4#BVQAWidgetID

Would this be appropriate for a freshwater tank? It seems to only mention reef aquariums for that sand. Also would the original sand or oolite sand be better for my betta and dwarf frogs? Apparently there is a pretty big difference between these types depending on what type of creatures you have. Anyone have experience with these substrates I am wanting to use. Thank you!
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 
fishkid

That's sand intended for saltwater tanks. Just get pool filter sand from Home Depot
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #3 
Mitra

Hard to find pool filter sand in Canada let alone in the part of Canada i live, no one has pools here. Saltwater sand won't work well in a Freshwater tank?
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #4 
shannonpwns

That is live sand, so no. Live sand means it has LIVE organisms in there. The sand will come wet also, because its...alive! :)

Can you get play sand for a sand box?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #5 
Moonshine357

Caribsea makes fresh water substrates as well. I have Tahitian moon sand from my favorite lfs, which is black and very pretty. Amazon.com sells caribsea products as well. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21412

I don't know exactly why you aren't supposed to put saltwater sand in a fresh water tank, I think it changes the water hardness.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

Marine sand is usually made up of crushed coral and shells, which will raise your ph. It also has living organisms in it that will die and possibly foul your water and cause a big ammonia spike.

You can buy play sand for a sandbox at around $4 for a 50 lb bag.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote