Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 
Hail0788

Koi's?

After my DT Blackbeard pasted away I started focusing on Finn. From what the breeder told me from AB is that he is a Koi HMPK. I'm not sure if that's true. So here is my two questions. 1: Is Finn a Koi? 2: How do you get Koi fry? Because someone told me if you breed koi with koi you will only get a few koi's
Attached Images

Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Koi is just an extension of the Marble gene, much like Grizzle. So he is technically carrying the Koi gene but selective breeding will give the "koi" look which is usually like a fish with a solid under color with some spots over top like a dalmatian but bigger spots.

As for breeding marbles, I had heard mixed reviews as well. Usually I guess you get mostly cambodian's and solids in F1 with maybe some marbles showing up, they're all carrying the marble gene's but most just won't show it I believe. And then come F2 you start to see more of what you're looking for and then just keep inbreeding till F4-F6 until you get what you want basically.

I believe that's how it goes, feel free to correct me.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 
Hail0788

Thank you. So if you were going to breed him what kind of girl would you go with? Color wise. There is a Grizzle girl I have my eye on.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you're aiming for the koi's that have been seen around AB like the white/pale body and red blotches then I'd try to find a koi girl to match up with him, preferably with no blue if you want that out so it's just white/red. But I'm really not sure on that part, I think maybe a cello girl would do as well but I have no experience in this area quite yet so don't take my word on it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #5 
snowflake311

I am breeding a marble pair and from what I have been reasearching marble to marble will give you all marbles. Marble gene is more domaniate . If you mix marble to anything you will always get marbles in the f1 not 100% but maybe 50%. Breeding the marble gene out of a line can be hard.

Marbles are so weird I love the color change and hate it at the same time.

I like your fish better then any koi. I think the koi patter is not that pretty. Your fish is very cool.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote