Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #1 
DefyingGravity

I think Dean has SBD

Dean is in a shared 3foot tank with Sammy, and today was their water change day. I did it like I usually did, and everything seemed fine.

Dean was swimming around like usual, even after the water change, however it's been about two hours, and he is floating on his side at the top of the tank. When he saw me, he swam normally, then when he stopped he went to his side again.

He does seem to have a bit of a pot belly so to speak, but can it develop that quickly, even if I didn't feed him today? I'm rather worried now. Last night they were given a tiny bit of frozen blood worms (i think?) by my brother as a treat, and Sammy & Castiel are fine. So does it sound like SBD? Should I separate him and Sammy just incase?
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have one who had chronic sbd for 7 months, then he mysteriously got over it. I feed all my fish freeze dried daphnia once a week. The day before I fast them. Swimbladder disorder isn't contageous so I don't think you need to separate them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #3 
DefyingGravity

I was thinking of separating them just in case it wasn't SBD, but if you think that is what it is, I'll leave them togethe. I was just concerned it might be something else :S I'll probably fast Dean & Sammy tonight, but feed Cas cos he is in a different tank, and then go from there. I've never dealt with SBD before. I'm such a worrier!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is Dean able to swim down to the bottom? If he can get to the bottom with no trouble then it might be something else.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #5 
DefyingGravity

I just saw him swim to the middle of the tank, and then stop and then he floated straight up to the top.

I went to work, and my brother didn't realize he might have SBD and fed him, thankfully it was only a tiny bit, but he has been told not to feed him for away, until I ok it again.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

It does sounds like SBD!

A little note about foods; freeze dried foods such as blood worms often cause constipation that lead to cases of SBD. The freeze dried foods lack moisture and expands in your fish's stomach when they absorb water, causing the constipation. Your betta fish's stomach is only roughly the same size as their eye! Hense why pre-soaking foods is a good idea :3

This might help, but what I do when my fish start to get bloated or develop SBD is add a bit of Epsom salt to their water. Epsom salt is great to reduce bloating not only in illness but it works as a mild laxative to relieve constipation. Usually I add about 1tsp of Epsom Salt per gallon. Don't worry, it's completely harmless so it won't hurt him :) Just remember to completely dissolve it before adding it to the water, because the salt crystals CAN hurt them.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote