Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #41 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Ahhh, Bluefish, you made me giggle.

I remember you were around last year when some of us were proving it was easy to cycle small (2.5g) tanks. IIRC, you reinvented the bucket cycle. Delighted to see you again.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #42 
JamieL

Alright, the nitrites are finally starting to creep up...but my daughter is in tears over her fishy after 32 days. Suppose I switch...return him to his 5.5 and put the filter on the 2.5 he's been in to cycle in there, will I lose the progress I've made so far?
JamieL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #43 
FirstBetta

When you start talking about molearity you loose me. That's chemistry and I never liked the subject and obviously didn't understand most of it. After acids and bases you are talking Swahili as far as I'm concerned.LOL

Last edited by FirstBetta; 09-01-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: correction typo
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #44 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
Suppose I switch...return him to his 5.5 and put the filter on the 2.5 he's been in to cycle in there, will I lose the progress I've made so far?
You won't lose anything, Jamie. Any bacteria already in the display tank may become dormant but will stay alive (as long as they're kept wet). Your filter will continue to cycle in the 2.5g "bucket." Go ahead and give her back her fishy.

Keep a close eye on the parameters is all.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #45 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
When you start talking about molearity you loose me. That's chemistry and I never liked the subject and obviously didn't understand most of it. After acids and bases you are talking Swahili as far as I'm concerned.LOL
As the only chemist on the forum I was just pulling the engineers chains . It has no bearing on Jamie's tank what so ever.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #46 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
You won't lose anything, Jamie. Any bacteria already in the display tank may become dormant but will stay alive (as long as they're kept wet). Your filter will continue to cycle in the 2.5g "bucket." Go ahead and give her back her fishy.

Keep a close eye on the parameters is all.
I switched them, thanks. I wish i knew to do it this way in the first place! I thought I had to cycle the filter on the main tank, to build up bb on the decor and substrate as well for it to work. She's very happy that Bubblefishy is back in his hideous pink and purple home. She talks to him, smooches the glass, tells him goodnight. Major animal lover.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #47 
Hallyx
Reference Team

When your cycled filter is installed in the display tank, you should have sufficient bacteria in it to convert all ammonia. As the bacteria spread throughout the tank, there will be less in the filter. The bacteria colony will grow (or shrink) to exactly match the bioload.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #48 
JamieL

A couple days ago the ammonia finally went to zero, so I dosed it to 2ppm. 24 hours later it was 0.5ppm and nitrites were 1ppm, so I dosed ammonia back up to 2ppm yesterday. Today ammonia is still 2ppm, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 5ppm. Is this ok/good/normal? I was pretty surprised by these numbers.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #49 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I would expect the ammonia to return to 0.0ppm. Until it and the nitrite drop to 0.0ppm you're not cycled. What is your pH?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #50 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
A couple days ago the ammonia finally went to zero, so I dosed it to 2ppm. 24 hours later it was 0.5ppm and nitrites were 1ppm, so I dosed ammonia back up to 2ppm yesterday. Today ammonia is still 2ppm, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 5ppm. Is this ok/good/normal? I was pretty surprised by these numbers.
It's fairly normal. I'm a little surprised at ammonia being up after 24 hours but wait and see if comes down.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote