Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #11 
Iseul

Soo..when I breed to show no red at all unless I have two solid reds, correct?

Also..George changed colour some since those pics of him, not to mention I didn't realize my flash was changing his colour a little as well (he was very turq when I got him though). Soo, he is a royal blue body now with the redwash.

I personally like the red though..Why is it frowned upon in show fish?
Posted via Mobile Device
Iseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #12 
Myates

In solid colors they are frowned upon - if you are wanting a blue fish it should have all blue, or a green, yellow, etc. Multis can have red though, but has to be a certain amount. But for pet fish they are just fine and beautiful :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #13 
Ilikebutterflies

+1 Myates
Pet fish aren't going to matter except for the fact that people generally tend to want either pretty bettas or unique bettas. The blue fish with red wash are going to sit around because they are so common.

You can go a few ways with your fella. You can encourage the red by breeding to a red gal. You would still get a blue fish on the body but hopefully mostly red fins. That is a bi-color. When there is enough of a second color it is called a bi-color and not a wash.

You could breed to a yellow girl and get mustard gas babies. Blue with yellow fins. I LUV those. It is such a pretty color combo.

Redwash is a fault because it is so hard to breed out and so pervasive. A fishes color tends to be weaker in the fins so the under colors show through...like red.

You know, if you could find a metallic red (just a really bad red with tons of iridescence) I think a heavy metallic red/blue bi-color could work. That would be really flashy under good tank lighting.

See, this is where color goals come into play. Sometimes things aren't a fault is you encourage them out but if you don't encourage them out enough you get a mess.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote