Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 
Aconyte

Snails invading my tank?

I'm not even sure where to post this, but last night I was startled to see several dark spots on the glass in my betta's bubble nest. Upon closer inspection I thought they looked like tiny snails. I checked on it this morning, and most of the spots are gone, but one of them definitely has antenae and a shell. I'm not even sure how they got in there as the only thing I've added to the tank in the past month and a half was some cherry shrimp (which he devoured, not my smartest moment) and a java fern from my community tank. I'd like to note that the community tank never has had snails in it either. Any ideas on where they may have come from and how to deal with them? I don't really want to put any chemicals in the water, and I don't want them to eat my plants. I just can't figure out how they got in there.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

Can you ID them at all?
Try floating a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight, or putting a slice of cucumber in the tank. The snails should be attracted to it like glue, then just remove with the snails on it and repeat as necessary!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #3 
Aconyte

Right now they're tiny and I have no experience with emails. I'll try the lettuce idea when I get home from work. How long should I keep it in there?
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

Just overnight, it should attract them right to it, and check it in the morning. If lettuce doesn't work, try the cucumber slice if you can.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
peachii

Carrots also worked for me when trying to get rid of the brown snails to make room for the blue and pink ones.
peachii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

If they're pond snails, you definitely want to get rid of them NOW...because they breed like MAD...

I tried the lettuce method with no luck, but I was told that if you blanch it in hot water first, that can help. I've also heard that Kale works well since it's greener and apparently has more flavor than lettuce.

Good luck to you!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #7 
Elsewhere

If your Betta ate all those Cherry's, he might just take care of your pond snail problem. All of my tanks are infested, and when I see one, I just pick him out and crush him. But usually my fish take care of them, eating them as they come along. It's all up to you, but if you were considering taking down the tank (not saying you said that, just clearing the air) I'd suggest not doing it, as snails are actually an improvement to tanks IMO :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote