Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #251 
percyfyshshelley

Nice tank, Dr. I just got a spec III myself. Can't wait to get it set up!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #252 
DrProfMcprofessorson

Yeah, I hope I don't stress my fish out too much with the move. Hopefully having plants and such that he knows in his new location might be a comfort.

By the way, for those keeping score at home, Petco has the Spec III on sale for $45.
DrProfMcprofessorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #253 
ItsEricNotErick

Hey Guys Check out my New Scape! Heres my Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDUVsYkGmS8
ItsEricNotErick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #254 
percyfyshshelley

Eric, your tank looks really nice! I'm just working on mine today.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #255 
leaveittoweaver

Fluval II's were on clearence at my local Petco. Only the black ones, they are 36.00!
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #256 
southernmdman

Hello everyone!! Just found this site, and its great!! I've been out of the hobby for years, but happened across the Spec V for $63 at Petco, and said what the heck!! Anyhoo, got the tank home, got it set up, and cycled it for 2 days before adding a twin tail betta.

The pumps set on low, and was still pushing the little fella around. So I cut the bottom off a water bottle and trimmed it to look like a small "e". The open end acts as a hook for hanging it in the pump well, and it calms the water flow nicely. But my betta seems to enjoy the water flow and just swims back and forth in it. Guess he just likes flow....
Attached Images

southernmdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #257 
Deanna01

He looks happy! I honestly think that bettas stay healthier and more fit when they have a bit of flow in their tank!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #258 
Aconyte

Looks great! Don't get freaked if you see him leaning against the grate for the filter. Pretty much every betta I know, mine included, loves doing that.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #259 
southernmdman

THANKS guys!! Fin-Lee has really cheered up after getting to know the tank, his colors are really starting to deepen. Once the tank has settled I'll get two cory cats to keep him company, and help with house keeping.
southernmdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #260 
daylily

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmdman View Post
cycled it for 2 days before adding a twin tail betta.
Two days? So you are doing a "fish in" cycle. And those are not live plants?

Did you buy a test kit so you will know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

If not, I would recommend that.....

Spec V (I have two of them.... Each has a male betta and a Nerite snail in it) are really to small for anything but Pygmy cory cats, and they prefer groups of 6-10 to be happy. I tried putting some in my first Spec V. The store originally sold 6 of them to me to go in with one of my betas, when I was first starting out. Bad advice from them. Less than a minute in the tank after quarantine and the betta attacked them, mortally injuring two, taking the tail off the third, which, somehow it has survived nearly a year now without a tail. I hurried and took the betta out, got the cories back into the quarantine tank. That was when I bought my 15 and set it up for nano fish. Had the remaining 4 Cory for many months in that 15 waiting for the store to get more, and they hid all the time. I rarely saw them. The store never got any more in when i was there. Finally a couple weeks ago, I mail ordered in 7 young Pygmy Cory to put with them, and what a difference. Now they are swimming all over, like proper Cory cats.

I have a Nerite snail in with each of my bettas in their Spec Vs. A few pond snails hitchhike in there with plants from my bigger tank, but that is it. I don't have any issue keeping it clean with just a male betta and a Nerite, proper filter care, live plants, and water changes. Of course, it was properly cycled to start with, and I am careful how much I feed the betta and the snail. I don't have much algae so I feed the snail a little so it stays healthy.

Last edited by daylily; 09-01-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec