Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #221 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffle Puffles View Post
LOL *Shun*. Fussy Merlin! Hope you and the boys have a safe trip! :)
Thanks! I'm a bit worried about the heat, especially since the boys will be in about a half gallon of water for the trip, so I'm hoping they don't get too warm (or with the AC) too cold.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #222 
BettaLover1313

Okay! The boys and I made it up to my campus in one piece, so we're now in Wisconsin! It dawned on me as I was setting up my tank that Merlin is back in his native lands, having been purchased from the Wal-Mart in town. Both boys did well on the trip, no accidents or sudden stops helped a lot! They're currently in their tank: Merlin's in his log, and Dragoon keeps popping out of his log to make sure his bubble nest is okay.

Very pleased that both boys have made bubble nests, even though the temperature here is ungodly hot! I can't even put their tank light on due to their tank temperature being in the upper 80's . The room is much hotter, even though my room mate and I both have fans that are making a cross-breeze, but it's not really helping...*sigh*.

Being the soda addict that I am, I have only had one soda since being up here, and that was because it was provided with the Welcome Crew's lunch today, otherwise I wouldn't have had it. I've been drinking water and Gatorade non-stop since arriving here due to the heat. We're all hoping this heat breaks soon since it's very uncomfortable, not to mention unsafe to work in if we don't stay hydrated while moving new and returning students in.

I already miss Renji, Lucky, and the horses. I love my betta boys, but I always love the love of my furry pets & friends. I'm especially sad about the horses since I probably saw Zip and several others for the last time, since the owner wants to sell a couple of them since hay/feed prices are so high at the moment, and I know he doesn't want to sell them, but he doesn't have much of a choice .

I'm really missing Lucky, and I'm worried that he might come to the same conclusion as he did at the kennel when we went to Texas...that I'm not coming back, and I'm really worried that he'll either not trust me or shun me when I do come home. I don't think I've ever been this worried about how a dog would react before, I mean, I was worried about Herbie being depressed since he and I were so close, but with Lucky my worry goes further than that since he has abandonment issues...I guess I'm more worried about all the hard work I put into bonding with him falling apart...I probably shouldn't worry, but I've found that when I don't worry, something goes wrong.

Not to worried about Renji, he'll probably ignore me for a couple hours when I come home next, but then he'll want some loving in no time .

Anyway, back to the betta boys! Merlin has been handling the activity around his tank really well, much better than last year (their tank is sitting on top of bookcase pretty much with a awesome view of the entire room), and I got a good look at Dragoon's eyes, and he's definitely going blind with the dragon scaling covering his eyes . I really do need to look up if this occurs in all DS's or not for future reference... I know he still has some of his eyesight, so hopefully it'll be awhile before he's completely blind. My room mate absolutely adores Dragoon, she thinks he's the cutest thing ever! She also tells Merlin not to be jealous too, so I think we're good .

May or may not update tomorrow depending on how I feel after moving in more people tomorrow and depending on how hot it gets. I keep hoping it'll rain and break this evil heat wave!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #223 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad you and your boys made it to college alright. Have a good year!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #224 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm glad you and your boys made it to college alright. Have a good year!
Thanks! So far it's been going well! (Granted, classes haven't started yet!)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #225 
BettaLover1313

Yesterday:

Had a fun day yesterday (not to mention easy work day). The heat wave did break (what a relief!) so the temperature was much better than the previous day, so moving in students wasn't such a chore, plus, I got to check out the newest dorm on campus which has AC AND an ELEVATOR!!! Made moving in new students much easier than at my dorm. My dorm wasn't busy though in moving in people, so it wasn't a big deal, plus we had everyone chip in when a car pulled up.

Hung out with my friends most of the night, not really impressed with the "Rockin' Block Party". We basically did one little activity there, got food, and amazing Mango Smoothies (new thing in our campus market), I've been thinking about getting another one today just on how good they were! We played some games in my friend's dorm after they came to mine and my room mates to admire my bettas. Poor Merlin is so under appreciated, but he knows he's my special boy and always will be. Dragoon is really loving the attention and actually did his happy dance when they came over to admire him. (Of course he's special to me too ). We played Jungle Speed for at least 3 rounds, and then we played 2 rounds of Egyptian Rat Screw/Slap (room mate told us both names to see if we knew it). I actually won the second round, but I somehow earned the nickname "Sara the Impaler" due to the fact that I subconsciously would raise one of my fingers (and my nails are currently quite long...I really do need to trim them down) when people were going to slap my hand when I slapped the cards. This of course led to my room mate suggesting I play Skyrim and my character should be named that, so I spent several hours playing it (about 11pm until 1am). It's a REALLY addicting game, particularly when you're a new game deprived gamer like me.

Today:
The tank temperature is actually where it's supposed to be, and the boys don't seem to be affected by the influx of temperature (luckily it decreased pretty gradually, which is a relief!).

Today was my day off from Welcome Crew, so I've been chilling out with my room mate and a couple other friends in my dorm. I'm looking forward to the free pizza (courtesy of our local pizza places) and the free movies, including tonight's featurette Now You See Me. The local cinema is also hosting a free movie night after midnight which I want to go to as well, so I'll leave with my friends right afterwards to do so.

I'm really impressed with how easily Merlin and Dragoon have handled themselves in their new environment, particularly Merlin. Merlin really didn't like all the activity around the tank last semester, but now he seems to be thriving on it! Dragoon, of course, is loving all the comments about how pretty and handsome he is. I think they're both really happy that I'm spending more time in the room and that they can see what I'm doing (particularly Merlin). So that might be why he's more accepting of this environment now, versus last semester, since he got a taste of home life and me not being in the room as often. His favorite past time has become sitting in his log and watching me, or swimming around the tank for sometime and turning several times to see if I'm still where I was last time or not. Very pleased with how they're both doing .
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #226 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

AHHH Egyptian Rat Screw!!! LOVE that game! My cousin and I taught it to all our friends at school so whenever we have free time all together we all scrounge out a deck of cards to play! Definitely one of my favorite games, painful but oh so fun haha.

Glad everything went well on move in day, I'm at least thankful I don't have to go through that since I'm a commuter. I know that's a bit difficult to do when you're an outer stater haha Awwww, now I want some Mango FroYo from our Orange Leaf .....maybe Wednesday....will be my treat for first day of classes lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #227 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
AHHH Egyptian Rat Screw!!! LOVE that game! My cousin and I taught it to all our friends at school so whenever we have free time all together we all scrounge out a deck of cards to play! Definitely one of my favorite games, painful but oh so fun haha.

Glad everything went well on move in day, I'm at least thankful I don't have to go through that since I'm a commuter. I know that's a bit difficult to do when you're an outer stater haha Awwww, now I want some Mango FroYo from our Orange Leaf .....maybe Wednesday....will be my treat for first day of classes lol

VERY fun game! My friends and I played games last year, but my room mate just made it all the funner by teaching us ERS!

I'm REALLY craving a mango smoothie, so I think I'll stop in the market after I go to Wal-Mart (probably will look at the bettas there >.<), since I need a couple things, including a step stool so I can reach my tank for cleanings. I REALLY want to take pictures of the setup, but I'd prefer to wait until I can put the tank light on to help with the lighting.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #228 
BettaLover1313

So the tank light is on today since it's so nie and cool in the room and cooler outside, but of course, my camera doesn't want to focus on the tank or anything at all . So yeah, no pictures *sigh*.

Both boys are doing well, Dragoon is currently building another bubble nest/guarding the little bit that he has started. Merlin is being Merlin, and is patrolling his side of the tank, defending it from his reflection lol. Neither of them is happy that they're having another fasting day so soon, but I want them back on Monday as a fasting day.

The movies I saw last night (for free) were awesome, though I LOVED Now You See Me more than The Butler since I was disappointed with how it was put together (they used a documentary made AFTER one of the events of the movie, so it was really out of place and laughable since they wouldn't have interviewed the victims during that time period).

Today has been a lazy day. I probably should have picked up my books, but since I was up until 2:30am, woke up at 9am...yeah...I don't want to do much! I was very lucky that we only have to move in a few people during the time period the Welcome Crew was asked to work. Now I'm just enjoying the down time and watching Merlin and Dragoon swim around their tank.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #229 
BettaLover1313

Two Funny Moments for the Price of One!!!

Funny Moments of the Day

Funny Moment 1 (brought to you by Merlin)

BE1313: *comes back from class and goes to feed the fish after a brief chat with room mate and sees that Merlin is clamped* "Oh my God! Merlin are you okay?!"
Merlin: *lost in thought, but comes out of it, unfurling his fins* "Hmmmm? Oh! You're back! Hi! I really did miss you!"
BE1313: "Be a good boy and do your trick!" *wants to check Merlin over*
Merlin: "Oh sure, no problem!" *does trick, facing BE1313's finger and turns his side to face the glass*
BE1313: "So you just wanted to be clamped to give me a heart attack when you're absolutely fine?"
Merlin: "You've been gone all day! Can I have my dinner now?"
Dragoon: "YES! FOOD!!!"

Funny Moment 2 (brought to you by Dragoon)

After the Merlin Funny Moment
BE1313: *starts feeding the boys their dinner of 3 pellets each* "One for Merlin"
Merlin: *too focused on BE1313* "Where did you put my food? Put more in! Did I tell you that I'm happy to see you?" *does happy dance some more*
BE1313: "One for Dragoon!"
Dragoon: "I can't see it!!!" *jumps*
BE1313:
Dragoon: "What? I got it! It's all good! You can put the next one in!"
Merlin: "Yes, please do hurry up, I just found my first one!"

Yeah, eventful dinner time today! Luckily, both boys are fine (I was scared that Dragoon got over the barrier in his greed-gluttony). I think Merlin really was just sulking since I've been out of the dorm since 9:00am this morning (boy he won't like tomorrow ). Dragoon has NEVER jumped for his food before, so I'm a bit worried...may have to make the water level lower, though I really don't want to since it's at a good spot already. We'll see if this latest behavior continues. Also, my room mate laughed at me for freaking out when I fussed over Merlin and then Dragoon's jumping . It's been kind of funny to hear someone else tell them good night and good morning, and basically everything I usually say to them!

First day of classes went well, and I got my books. I'm hoping I didn't mess up with my financial aid, since, apparently, I didn't accept my loans (though I distinctly remember doing so). So I'm hoping that those will come in and lower my tuition costs for the year, otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do . I really don't want to ask one of my relatives for more money since they've been very generous already, and I don't want to push it. So really, REALLY hoping that I didn't somehow mess everything up making my life that much harder when it comes to paying off this year's tuition.

All in all, good day today. I'm hoping tomorrow and the rest of the week is just as good. Tomorrow will also be a 50% water change for the boys, but luckily, my gravel vacuum is going to make that a breeze .
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #230 
BettaLover1313

Well, Dragoon's eyesight is good enough that he came bite my finger at feeding time . My fault really since 1: I know he's losing his eyesight, 2: he hears the flap come open, he assumes food is coming in, & 3: Stuff on the surface of the water (with the flap open) is going to be presumed as food. Yep. Stupid me! I opened the flap, saw Dragoon's log was in the way, and moved it with my fingertip just touching the water and he smacked right into it giving me a little nip in the process. He didn't break the skin, but it just shocked the heck out of me!

Anywho! Did a 50% water change today. Dragoon is getting used to the vacuum hose, while Merlin wanted to go inside it -.-'; I really worry about him somedays, truly I do.

I've basically have had a first day of all of my classes, and I think they'll be fine, maybe a little challenging, but fine none the less. All the teachers seem fair, and some seem really fun! So I'm looking forward to this semester!

I learned from calling my mother last night that Lucky is missing me since he heard a car with a similar beep to my own and ran to our side door and sat there, whining, when I didn't come in. Renji is also missing me in his own way, and I'm certainly missing all of them. I did get a surprise though, since my mom said that she was going to let the owner of the horses I work with teach her how to ride since she's ready to try again (had a traumatic experience as a kid). I was pretty surprised, but happy as well, since the owner had mentioned that he'd wished my mom would learn to ride as well. I imagine that made him happy!

So I still have to finish some homework for tonight, then I might play a little Skyrim (so addictive!!! <.<)! Then I get to wake up early tomorrow morning to work out with some of my room mate and friend.