Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 
MiraJane

Just Wondering.....

This is a bit of an odd question, but, are there any particular breeds of beta fish that tend to be less aggressive? Or is it totally unpredictable and spread out randomly across all breeds? I know that for a long time bettas were bread to be more aggressive because they were put together and fought for entertainment, but is it possible for certain types to be generally less aggressive?
MiraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Do you mean species or tail types? All ornamental Betta splendens are the same species.

There are however at least 70 other species of what are called 'wild bettas' that in general are a lot less aggressive than splendens.

Nearly all of my wild bettas live in pairs or groups and serious fighting is usually very limited.

There are some individuals and species where the aggression level is higher, but generally they will never be as aggressive as a domesticated Betta splendens.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 
MiraJane

I did mean the wild bettas, I just forgot the different names for them. And thats good to hear. I just wanted to know because I am planning a sorority tank and want to do everything I can to minimize the chances of them getting hurt. So if they are generally less aggressive I will most likely use them in my new tank. Thank you :)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Just be aware the care differences for wild bettas can be vastly different from that of normal bettas.

If you were planning on mixing them with normal splendens I would stick to only females from the splendens complex and try to use fish that have been captive bred rather than wild-caught.

Setsuna on here keeps/breeds these types of wild bettas so if you are after females I would contact him.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #5 
MiraJane

Is there a place on here that gives information about keeping wild bettas? And I would rather get them from a breeder. I don't necessarily intend to mix splendens with wild beta species, I just want a verity of colors and tail types. Im going for something like a betta rainbow. And I would also be interested in buying from someone on here, but only after my tank is set up. I know they need lots of hiding places, so I'm going to try to have a planted tank for the first time. I've never done it before and want to make sure that it's just right before I add any bettas. Plus, I already have two female bettas in a 2.5 gal next to my desk. They are both splendens that I rescued from petco. Both are about two years old now, and I would like to put them in my bigger tank with the others if it can be done.

Last edited by MiraJane; 09-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116188

This thread has a lot of info/pictures. Wild bettas are all I basically keep nowadays so I am on there a bit haha.

Wild betta females (particularly from the splendens complex) are generally pretty 'dull' when compared to the colour of splendens females. I personally like that kind of look, but if you are wanting a lot of colour you may not be a fan.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #7 
MiraJane

I've seen them before, and they do look nice to me. It's not really different colors that I'm looking for, I just want them to all look different from each other, I want it to be diverse.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

No worries.

Well read that thread, check out the IBC Species Maintenance Program (SMP) Facebook page and look at some wild betta profiles on SeriouslyFish.com and that should help you work out whether wild bettas are suited for what you want or not.