Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG I almost choked on my cereal when you did ~flail~ lmao!! I hope they have some good ones!! all ours has is the red tuxedo ones and an occasional yellow one, not much a selection lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #22 
bambijarvis

Ours usually only has red tux and some cobras, but I'm hoping they'll have gotten a new shipment recently for the sale.
I really want some blues.

On a sadder note, the half-black female passed away. I still have all of her fry and the other three adults seem fine.
She'd been acting of lethargic so I'd separated her into a jar(still sitting in the tank so she stayed warm). By this morning she was gone.

There are still two females in with the male so I don't need to worry about having to replace her unless I do end up buying some fish tomorrow. Still sad to see her go.
Doing a large water change here after I post.

Back to happy-fun-fish-baby-time-show now!
Still no fry loss. The new batch seems to be catching up quick to the older ones. I'm soaking the 20long and will fill it after I do water changes.

Moving the adults to the 20 this weekend some time so the fry can have the ten.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww sad about the female, but yes, at least you still have her fry

Here's to hoping they have some good fish for you!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #24 
bambijarvis

Hope so as well. It's been really hot so we put off shopping until today.
I'm heading out right now to go see what they have left.

The fry were moved into the ten gallon yesterday and today look great. I'm training them to find their food/eat under a styrofoam cup(placed upside down so it floats on top of the water) so the surface agitation caused my the bubbler/filter won't be an issue.
Two adults are floating in the 20 gallon(doing watcher changes twice a day) until I find out if I'm adding more fish or not. I want to add them all at once to avoid having a set pecking order that might be disputed.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #25 
bambijarvis

Bought 2 HB boys and 3 new females.
also got some test strips and seachem ammonia thing you stick in the tank that's supposed to be good for a year, as well as some fake plants that float(and the fry love).

Most of the second group seem to be doing fine but I see one or two who are still really small. It's weird as the others are pretty uniform in size.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #26 
bambijarvis

Sucked up the bottom of the tank and did a small water change after lunch today, everyone is doing well.
Planning another water change in a few hours(just a gallon or two).

The older fry are 24 days old today.
the younger are a week and a day old.

I'm going to move the most pregnant female into a gallon by herself tomorrow or the next day..or a small container I can put inside the maintank. Either way I'm separating her until she drops(my guess being she's due between 4 and 7 days from today).
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Holy mackerel, it's been almost a month already??? Where the heck did time fly?? Wow, I'd love to see some update pictures of them though! And your new HB males! They sound amazing

So are you working on lines of color or fin types?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #28 
bambijarvis

These fry are all from females who were prego when I bought them, so no set strains.

I want to work with blues and half blacks.

the three fry from the first drop were pretty dark pretty early, so I'm hoping they end up nicely colored half blacks. quite a few from the second drop are getting a lot of black on them(not as solid than the first drop though).
I'm hoping to get at least 1 or two random blue males from one of these drops.

I'll go from there.
Though the two Half black boys I bought have orange on them.
Eventually, when these are grown and I know what I have, I'll rehome any that don't fit what I'm working with and purchase a trio of light blue mosaics(maybe the HM ones I've been watching).

If I do I'll work on a HM blue mosaic with a tux/HB body strain....or try to anyway. lol

New video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriTzahWIdk

Ignore the cup, it's only in there for feeding...the food on the bottom was cleaned after the video was shot when I did a water change.

One of these days I'll figure out how to get a video that isn't orange using my phone. Picking up a different light bulb later today.
I'll get a video, or at least a photo or two, of all my current adults later.

Last edited by bambijarvis; 09-03-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nice! They look really good

What are you feeding them?

Blue Mosaics sound really pretty, all the names for Guppy colors are so cool and then Betta colors: red....orange...blue! lol so boring and unoriginal XD that's great though!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #30 
bambijarvis

I adore patterned fish, it's why when I did have bettas I liked marbles so much.

I feed decaps and crushed tetramin flakes. I've heard of feeding ground up spirulina disks to help them color, and I have a few, but I haven't tried feeding it yet.

Occasionally they get a crushed betta pellet instead of flakes, but only because I have the pellets left over and don't want them to go to waste. xD

The larger ones look big enough that I'm thinking of buying some live blackworms tomorrow(I can cut them up smaller for the fry). If nothing else the adults will probably enjoy them.