Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1 
sunset

They seem to need some convincing...

Hey everyone!
My parents are being pretty stubborn on the whole "you promised to not bother us for another pet after we got the 2nd piggie!" Anyways I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how you convinced the parents to agree to another fish?
Thanks in advance!
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #2 
TigerLily

You could try making it a family project.

"Mom, wouldn't it be really nice if we had a small tank in the living room/family room/office? It could make the room look so much livelier- and look! See how this one turned out online? It's beautiful, isn't it? There's actually a lot to learn when it comes to fish, don't you think that's interesting?"
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I usually just buy them and take them home.lol My parents get mad at first, but than they warm up to the idea...but I'm also 21 and moving out soon.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #4 
sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
You could try making it a family project.

"Mom, wouldn't it be really nice if we had a small tank in the living room/family room/office? It could make the room look so much livelier- and look! See how this one turned out online? It's beautiful, isn't it? There's actually a lot to learn when it comes to fish, don't you think that's interesting?"
Haha, I like how you think...
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #5 
diruak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
I usually just buy them and take them home.lol My parents get mad at first, but than they warm up to the idea...but I'm also 21 and moving out soon.
I usually follow this idea, buy it bring it home, then they can't make you send it back "sorry mom/dad, no returns"
diruak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #6 
Mecal

Except they may make you give it away then...

I'd honestly say, don't be so quick to try. Give it some time.
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #7 
kelly528

Well the big question is:

Who will take care of it?

If your parents are stalling about getting another fish, the usual reason is that they don't want to take care of another pet. It's a hard realization to have, espescially when you're younger but you have to ask yourself: Who is taking care of the pets you already have? Do you shoulder the whole load or is it your parents who take care of cleaning tanks, scooping poop, mucking stalls etc.

Because even if it isn't your fault that you can't be looking after the family pets 24/7, that doesn't mean you deserve another pet.

I know when I asked my parents if I could set up a tank in May, the first thing that popped into their mind was the year when I was 11 and they cleaned my fish tank for me every week! They said 'not again' right away, but I explained that that whole incident was 8 years ago and I am more responsible now. I guaranteed them they would never have to clean tanks, feed fish, soak up leaks, or repaint the windowsill I put my tanks on. Now, 9 months later I have 4 tanks running all because I kept to my word.

So if you want to convince your parents to get you another fish, my best advice to you is to take all the burden of your other pets completely off their hands. That is the only offer they can't refuse!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that most parents are worried that the responsibility for pets will end up falling in their laps. I think that showing them that you are a responsible person and that you take good care of the pets you have will help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #9 
Jupiter

You keep pigs?

Well, when my aunt put her foot down abotu not getting any more fish, I listened to her. it is her house, so I have to respect her rules.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jupiter, you're right. When you live in someone else's house, you have to go by their rules. I live in my mother's house so I have to abide by her rules, even though I'm 48. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote