Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 
MichelleA

Sponge Filter

Can someone point me in the right direction in buying a sponge filter and everything Ill need, I looked at a few but i dont quite understand how it all goes together.

I found this filter, will this work?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/hydro-ii...&category=2734

Then I understand I need tubing?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/stealth-...ategory=116998

And also an external air pump?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/whisper-aquarium-air-pumps

So the tubing somehow attaches from the air pump to the filter and the air pump plugs into the wall for power? Im so confused. Can someone please explain these things?
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #2 
Canis

The tubing attaches to the filter somewhere (I don't have that type of sponge filter so I couldn't tell you where), the other end of the tubing will connect to the side of the air pump, and yes, you will have to plug the pump into a wall. Its really simple to use, actually. I prefer them over power filters.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 
Racoon293

If you look down that plastic tube coming up from the filter there should be a nipple that the airline simply slides over. I don't have that perticular filter but mine is very similar.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Sponge filters are the best. :)

Yes, you need all that and an air stone as well. The air stone will go on the bottom of one end of your tubing and will drop down into the center of the sponge (into that long white tube in the middle). The other end of the tubing will connect to your air pump. Drop it in all into your tank and you're good to go. :)

If your pump is too powerful, you can either get a little knob that will splice into your tubing and cut down on the air flow, or my ghetto method is just to put a loose knot into the airline tubing about halfway through. You can pull the knot tighter or looser as needed to get your airflow/current to a point that it makes your betta happy.

Oh, and make sure to soak the airstone overnight, this helps it to soften up and allows the bubbles to come through more evenly/smaller.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 
MichelleA

Does anyone have a picture of one set up they can post?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #6 
Racoon293

I'm not to good at navigating the forum, but if you can look up the user Waterdog he has an excellent link about sponge filters in his signature.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #7 
FirstBetta

Each of the links show good items that will work for you. I have exactly the same filter and pump. Since I don't know the size of your tank I can't tell you the size you want. Two things you should add are an airline check valve and an airline control valve. Pet solutions has them, just type check valve or air control valve in the search box.

I don't have a picture and can't get one, all of mine are buried in my tanks. But the assembly is easy. On one end of the air pump is a short tube (approx. 1/8" dia and less than a half inch long (don't worry there is only one on the smaller pumps) Push one end of the airline on to the pump tube. You may want to wet the end of the airline to make it easier to slide on. You can also use your hair drier to expand the end of the tubing slightly for ease of assembly

Next, cut the airline about a few inches from the pump (not critical, appearance only) insert the check valve in to the cut end of the tube from the pump. Now comes the tricky part. The check valve should have an arrow or other means on the case to indicate air flow, you want to point the arrow away from the pump. So you understand what the check valve does, it allows air to flow from the pump to the sponge filter but stops water from the tank syphoning into the pump incase of a power failure or somebody or thing disconnecting the poser cord.

Next, slide the end of the long piece of airline on to the other end of the check valve. Again cut the airline a short distance from the check valve and slide on to one end of the control valve. Slide the end of the long piece of airline tubing on the other end of the control valve. Almost there.

Decide where the filter is to go and cut the tubing at a length to allow the tubing to reach the filter when it is placed in the tank and the pump is located where you want t. Before installing the filter in the tank plug the pump in the socket and check for air flow. You might have to open the control valve, they are usually sold in the closed position.

The sponge filter will probably want to float when it is dry so you will have hold it down for a short while. You can then adjust the control valve to the flow you want.

I hope you don't feel that I have talked down to you, but you seemed to be very hesitant about how to set the filter up. During my career I wrote a lot of instructions for assembly, etc.

If you have any questions feel free.

Sorry for the long winded post.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I don't have anything to add about the actual brand of filter/pump, but I noticed FirstBetta mentioned about sponge filters wanting to initially float.

If you just squeeze the sponge a few times to get the air out it should sink almost immediately. It took me a while to figure that trick out and I wondered how come I could not get my sponge filters down.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 
MichelleA

No haha that is exactly what i needed firstbetta thank you. I will be setting one up in a five gallon. I also have a divided 10 gallon. Not sure how filters work in those. It has a mesh divider with java moss tied to it. Any suggestions for that?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

I don't know if this link also might help:)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=173977&page=3

check post #22 there is info about sponge filter.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote