Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 
resa

Question question about sea salt

my landlord recommended me using sea salt in my aquariums. I need opinions about it.
I have morton sea salt. I bought from the grocery dept. it's extra coarse sea salt. nothing added. I have 2..10g tanks. with male bettas. then I have a 30g tank that only holds 1 platy, 1 blk molly, 1 swordtail. with real Amazon sword plant
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If it is purely NaCl you can use it but ONLY for medical purposes not for monthly maintinence or anything like that. Salt will also kill real plants so definitely don't use it in tanks that have real plants. But otherwise don't use any salts if not necessary if you aren't going to get AQ salt then make sure you read the ingredients and stuff like that extremely careful as it needs to have no additives or other ingredients in it whatsoever.

Is there a reason you want to use sea salt in your tanks? Or was it just something that your landlord said?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3 
resa

it was just something my land lord said I needed to use. I have aq salt on hand I'd needed to. are my non bettas, freshwater or brackish water fish?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 
resa

Oh and can I put a male betta in the tank with the molly, female swordtail, and the platy?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

oh, yeah no you don't need to use that. Mollies are brackish water fish but Platies and Swords are not but Mollies can live in freshwater just fine. They may not live as long but they'll do just fine there. That's probably what he was talking about but since you have other non-brackish water fish in there, it's a bad idea. And Sea Salt that I think he meant was Marine Salt, regular sea salt doesn't do the same thing that salt from the ocean does to make a marine environment or a brackish one. You can't just use any salt basically.

And putting a Betta in with the other fish might be risky, I'd be worried they'd pick on him because they aren't as fast. Platies are usually fine but swords can get a bit more aggressive along with Mollies. So I wouldn't risk it anyways.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 
resa

Ok well thank you very much