Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #1 
Cowgirlthing

Talking My First Fish

Hey everyone! I'm a young adult hoping to purchase a Betta Fish on Friday (August Friday 6th) I'm very new to owning fish, but not to pets in general. I've had several pets, a dog, 3 cats, a finch, 2 hamsters, a horse (I leased), and a hedgehog, but never ever a fish! So I'm very excited, but I haven't the slightest clue where to even begin, I have a bowl already and I plan on only buying one because I know they are solitary fish with little maintenance. But I just have general care questions! I'd be delighted if someone could answer! Once I get him or her I will post pictures and keep you all updated! I know it's "just" a fish but I take pride it caring for all of the animals I had. I know I could ask all these questions to the pet store owners but I'd rather ask people with experience in these fish!

So here are just some general care questions!
- What sort of water do I use? Bottle, Tap, etc.
- How often should I clean out the bowl? And how do I clean it out, transfer the fish, etc?
- Any food suggestions?
- Decoration suggestions?
- Do fish "warm up to you"?
- How should I transfer the first from the bag to the bowl?
- How do I tell a male from a female?
- Any other tips or suggestions for me?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Here is the bowl I got for him or her! (It's Cat in the Hat Themed!)
Cowgirlthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tap water is fine but you have to use conditioner like Prime or some other conditioner. I can't think of any other brands right now. Lol I would change the water twice a week. I net my fish and put them in the cups they came in while I change the water.
I would recommend New Life Spectrum or Omega one pellets and frozen brine shrimp or daphnia for snacks. As far as decorations are concerned pick plants that are soft and decorations that have no sharp edges that he could tear his fins on. If he comes in a bag you can float the bag in the bowl for awhile then release him. Males usually have longer fins than females. Plakats are short finned. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First of all, welcome to the forum .

How big is the bowl? The minimum tank size for bettas is one gallon.

So here are just some general care questions!
- What sort of water do I use? Bottle, Tap, etc. Tap is fine, but you need water conditioner to make it safe.
- How often should I clean out the bowl? And how do I clean it out, transfer the fish, etc?Depends on how large it is...
- Any food suggestions?New life spectrum betta formula or omega one betta pellets are the two highest quality, most commonly available foods.
- Decoration suggestions?Soft plants, real, silk, or fake are great, or cave like objects.
- Do fish "warm up to you"?They can, mainly because they associate you with food.
- How should I transfer the first from the bag to the bowl?You have to acclimate it... Basically, float the bag or cup in the bowl, and keep adding small amounts of water every 5-10 minutes for 1/2-1 hour.
- How do I tell a male from a female?Males have longer fins (plakat, or short finned males, are the exception), females will have ovaries and may have a white dot between the ventral fins (called an ovipositor), etc.
- Any other tips or suggestions for me?Just ask if you need any other help :).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excited to have new fish, first betta, fish, new beginner