Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 
Loki22

Question High Ph? 5 gal

I am having a problem with my 5 gallon betta tank. its been established since last November. but my Ph has been high. I noticed this at first because lately my half moon plakat has been looking like he has marks on his scales. his color has been great but the marks look like maybe burn marks from the acid of the high ph. He still eats well, and no other signs of illness. at first I tested with API test kit and the PH was higher than the color code so I tested the high range PH
Ammonia 0.25
High Range PH 7.4
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

I change 50% of the water once a week, every week. I change the filter cartridge once a month. I really don't understand why I am having these problems. I do have to turn off the filter when feeding him but that is about it, and his tank is heated to 82 degrees, and he has 4 live plants. can anyone help me to figure out anything that I am doing wrong or? thank you.

as of now I will do another water change and I also have some Microb-lift special blend I think that I will add to it, 5ml.

Last edited by Loki22; 09-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Loki22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #2 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki22 View Post
I am having a problem with my 5 gallon betta tank. its been established since last November. but my Ph has been high. I noticed this at first because lately my half moon plakat has been looking like he has marks on his scales. his color has been great but the marks look like maybe burn marks from the acid of the high ph. He still eats well, and no other signs of illness. at first I tested with API test kit and the PH was higher than the color code so I tested the high range PH
Ammonia 0.25
High Range PH 7.4
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

I change 50% of the water once a week, every week. I change the filter cartridge once a month. I really don't understand why I am having these problems. I do have to turn off the filter when feeding him but that is about it, and his tank is heated to 82 degrees, and he has 4 live plants. can anyone help me to figure out anything that I am doing wrong or? thank you.

as of now I will do another water change and I also have some Microb-lift special blend I think that I will add to it, 5ml.
First off, 7.4 is not very high. It is actually relatively close to neutral. Second off, those burn marks you see will never happen because of high Ph. The higher Ph goes the less acidic it gets, so high Ph will never manage burn a betta. The burn marks you see are most likely the common symptom of ammonia poisoning. You need to get your ammonia down to 0. Is your tank cycled? If not than for the time being you need to increase water changes or consider adding more live plants. Be sure to check your tap water (or whatever your water source is) for ammonia. Consider a product such as prime that makes ammonia temporarily safe.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #3 
Loki22

thank you, I was always told that the higher the ph the more acidic it is. I do use Prime as my water conditioner. I was told to use two drops per gallon. so I use 10 drops for my 5 gallon.
my tank is cycled, or at least I thought that it was. I have had the filter running since last year in November, only unplugging it to feed my betta 3 pellets a day.

how often do I need to do my water changes like if I wasn't having problems? I was told every week 50%, but then I hear that that is too much, and to do 25% every other week.
for now though how often should I be doing my water changes and how much?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah a high pH is basic and a low pH is acidic. You would have to have extremely acidic water to burn a betta as they are technically a fish that would inhabit soft water areas in the wild.

If you are getting a reading of 0.25ppm for ammonia, your tank isn't cycled.

When you say you are changing your filter cartridge, do you mean the whole thing? If so, this is basically going to re-starting your cycle every single time. The cartridges are where the lion's share of the beneficial bacteria colonise. Unless the cartridges are falling apart there is no need to change them every month. A quick swish in some old tank water is all that is required.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
Loki22

I change the whole cartridge and put a new one in, but I never clean out the actual filter, or the sponge thing that came with it when I bought the filter last year.
I just tested all my tap water sinks in our house, the ammonia is between 0.25 and 1.0. is that bad? even for our drinking or showering water? our ph is very high aswell.