Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #1 
Sokkasmom

Question starting a 10g

So I got a new 10 g tank today and have it set up, filter going and all that jaz. I'm wanting to start a sorority in it, and have just a few questions.
1. I know I need lots of plats, all diffrent sizes, for hiding spots. So what are the bst plants to use for hiding spots?
2. How many females can I keep in a 10g? Do they folow the normal 1 inch per gal rule for fish or do they need more room?
3. Should they all be the same kindof beta (vt, ee or whatever) or can I mix them?
4. How much fighting is to much fighting? Should I let them "duke it out" at first, or stop all fights as soon as I see them?

I enjoy my 4 males and 1 female betta I have now, and would really like to add more to my house hold. No plans on breeding, just saving them from their tiny petstore cups.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...rority-123796/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #3 
Sokkasmom

Thank you Hallyx
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

This info is great, and very complete, but one added stress point is to make SURE you QT them very, very well. It's always important to QT any new fish, but extra important in a sorority. Not only are you housing several fish together than can transmit things between them and hurt/kill many, but the stress of living in a sorority can cause small weaknesses to become big weaknesses very quickly. They need to be very healthy, and in good condition before they go into the sorority.

And one more...this goes along with the QT, let them all see one another in cups or their QT containers during their 2 week (though preferably a month) QT period before they're in the tank together. This will help cut down on the fighting, and allow them to vent some of their aggression before hand. It also helps you to determine who is likely to be aggressive when D-Day rolls around. :) Just rotate the containers around so that everyone sees everyone else.

Great link from Halyx and awesome article from Little Betta! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Ah, BlueFish just reminded me---because you'll probably want to stock all 5 or 6 at once, you should have your tank cycled before-hand to handle the relatively high bioload.. And as many live plants as you can manage.

Actually, if I were starting a sorority, I'd use Dr Tim's One-and-Only (or fresh Tetra Safestart, API Quickstart or ATM Colony) to cycle with the fish in residence.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #6 
Sokkasmom

I am doing the fish food cycle first. That way I can get my tank going and do the qt for my new girls. I want to have a lot of live plants in the tank, since I love the way they look and all of my bettas seem to enjoy live plants more than the silk. What kinds of plats make good hiding places, but also are good for the cycle? I've been told bamboo and amazon swords (I think that's what they are called) any other plants that have worked well for you hat you would recomend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 
shannonpwns

Water lettuce, duckweed, hornwort are some good floaters, and they help suck up ammonia and grow fast if you have the right lighting. I have amazon swords and other types of swords in my sorority, and some stem plants (forget the names) and water sprite and anubias and java ferns. I've had bad luck trying to plant stem plants though, half of them died, and the other half are just floating in the tank now and are doing good.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

Shannon, I had this problem, but I figured out that if I very gently (and loosely) rubberbanded the lower stems together, and then used dental floss to tie them to a rock, they stayed put for me. ;) Eventually they do usually grow some roots and then it's easier to keep them planted. :)

Just if you *don't* want them to float. :) I got tired of my wisteria turning into a stemmy mass of leaves and stems and roots. But that's just personal preference. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, sorority tank