Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1 
safisher

Not sure what to do now...please help!

We've been through a lot with Kiwi.. getting stuck in his ornamental castle; then recently finding him totally white at the bottom of his tank; laying on his side at the bottom of his "hospital room- still white as a ghost and struggling to breathe. I HONESTLY thought he was dying as I watched him. We ran him to PetCo, where my daughter's friend purchased him. They didn't know what was wrong with him, but recommended Betta Fix. We didn't know what is else to do so we've been treating Kiwi with Betta Fix since this past Wednesday. Amazingly, Kiwi is still hanging in there. We can't get him to eat much (he didn't eat for 4 days...then he ate one...and ONLY one....Betta food pellet this past Friday and Saturday.). He's improved enough we completely cleaned out his tank (using filtered water and a brand new toothbrush to scrub his ornamental flower bowl and artificial plants. We replaced his gravel with new gravel and the filter to his Mini Bow 1; then added Betta Water with StressCoat+ and carefully measured Betta Fix. We let the water circulate until the temperature reached 82 before returning him to his tank. He's done some swimming around....hanging out at the bottom or near the top of the tank. He's done some hiding in his little floral home (playing Peek-a-boo with us when he looks out each end). We tried to feed him one pellet of food, but we couldn't get him to approach his little "feeding hole". I'm HOPING he's just acclimating himself again, to his tank. I WISH I knew if we're helping Kiwi or not...and what else we can do for him....
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 
safisher

Housing
What size is your tank? Aqueon Mini Bow 1
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not right now...may do so this winter if necessary
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Fish Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? When he was eating - 4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat+ and Betta Fix, for the time being

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Did not test the water today because we did a 100% change out and tank scrub down

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Although his color has improved ( he's gone from pale pink - his original color - to WHITE; then yellow, and now he looks like a gold fish
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Shy, hiding, laying around
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's recovering from "something" so we've noticed this for a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?uses...using StressCoat+ and Betta Fix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Turning white last week, for an unknown reason
How old is your fish (approximately) we got him in January 2013...
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post a photo?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
safisher

well, NOW I feel like an idiot!

24 hours after i posted...Kiwi was acting like nothing ever happened!! he is swimming around all over the place and eating normally! He ate four little pellets for breakfast and this afternoon my husband called me to tell me that he was scurrying around feeding hole, so he gave him four more pellets! I'm hoping he's turned a corner and that he will continue to just get better and better! thank you for those who posted and offerred support! I guess I jumped the gun! maybe I should have just given him a little more time to recover...