Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #1 
JamieL

My betta hates snails. Now what?

I recently purchased two mystery snails, one for each tank. The vt doesn't mind his snail, he doesn't even pay attention to it. In the 10g, I rarely saw the snail, and when I did it didn't move much...I figured out why. My CT was viciously attacking it. I walked in to find Captain Hook laying his whole body flat on the bottom so he could get better leverage to get his head inside the shell and attack the snail. I removed the snail immediately. It's antenna are bitten most of the way off. I'm not sure what to do now. I really don't want to put him in the other tank because a) I don't know what gender they are and I don't want eggs/baby snails and b) I don't want to increase the bioload in that tank, it's only 5.5 gallon.

What do I do now? Will petsmart take the snail back? I don't have a receipt anymore, but I don't care about getting my two bucks back. I have another 5.5 gallon I could probably put him in, but there's no filter on it at the moment because I'm bucket cycling the filter. I also have no live plants in there, which I thought they need/prefer?

Ugh. Im not sure what to do here. Anyone want a black mystery snail?
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #2 
Laki

You could give it away to a fam member/friend/classifieds. Snails are pretty popular. The store will probably take it back because they see the snail as another 2$.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #3 
JamieL

Thanks, I'll probably try the store tomorrow or tonight and see if i can give him back. I don't think snails are for me. The other snails kind of cool, he zooms around the tank and is super active, but my tank is so dirty since I added him. I don't know if its poop or slime from the snail in the sand, but blegh! Theres crud all over the substrate. I think I've discovered I'm not a snail person.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 
Laki

Snails let out A LOT of poop! I was never into the mystery/apple snails but my nerite stays small (well, she's about 1-1 1/2 in in roundness) and apparantly has less bioload than the apple snails. Added bonus is that nerites exlusively eat algae! Milly has been VERY good at that for about 11 months now. I understand snails not being for everybody though :) Hopefully they take it back !
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Mystery snails are best for a large natural planted tank the plants can used their poop for fertilizer. Small tanks just become polluted quickly from them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #6 
JamieL

Friggin snail! I kind of want to return both of them after coming home to an insane amount of snail poop covering the substrate. Rrrrgh. I'm a little attached to the one in the tank, but I don't want to clean up insane amounts of poop every day!!

I knew they were messy but I didn't know it was this bad! The sand is about 80% covered!!
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

Welcome to snail motherhood/fatherhood. At least yours haven't had over 100 babies... And are expecting more... I would return them, as they can actually have babies MONTHS after being in the company of a male. Also, cleaning slime off of glass is hard enough, sand must be terrible... If you're attached to the on in the 5.5, I would suggest daily sand cleaning (with a turkey baster or siphon) to keep the ammonia down and fishy happy :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #8 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Welcome to snail motherhood/fatherhood. At least yours haven't had over 100 babies... And are expecting more... I would return them, as they can actually have babies MONTHS after being in the company of a male. Also, cleaning slime off of glass is hard enough, sand must be terrible... If you're attached to the on in the 5.5, I would suggest daily sand cleaning (with a turkey baster or siphon) to keep the ammonia down and fishy happy :)
Wahhhh. I returned the other snail to petsmart, I looked in on this one and I couldn't do it. He so fast...and he does cool stuff...he won me over, even though I've decided I'm not a snail person. I look and hes perched on a leaf, or climbing to the top of the spongebob pineapple to poke his head out of the water. The two anubias I got for this tank weren't the greatest, some black tips on the leaves, and I noticed him one day chewing on a leaf....then he crawled away and the black part was gone with only the healthy part and the little skeleton of the dead part of the leaf left. I was impressed. I figure if hes a she and i end up with eggs i can remove them (barf) and eventually she'll stop. I dunno, this betta is really relaxed, maybe my next fish project might be to turn this tank into a planted tank and add some shrimp and stuff - his personality seems like he'd be fine with shrimp. The other betta obviously is dangerous to invertebrates...haha.

Petsmart did take the snail back without a problem with no receipt,which was good. The girl said they'd put him "in the back in the tank back there for a few days to make sure he's ok". I guess maybe they have a qt tank or an employee tank or something? And they actually did give me a store credit, even though I insisted I didn't care. I just wanted him not to be lunch. But I put it towards the bottle of prime I needed, so that worked out.