Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #1 
apollo1005

Betta at petsmart is very sick! :(

This poor poor betta at petsmart has such bad fin rot its heartbreaking, and every time i have come in (i go there so much its embarassing) he has gotten worse and worse. There are literally chunks of his fins sitting at the bottom of his cup. Id love to rescue him, i have an extra tank i would be able to keep him in, but i cant keep him permanantly. I guess my question is, do you think petco would allow me to "adopt" him for free, then return him there once he is happy and healthy? Or what would you guys do? I know i cant keep him but i do want so badly to save him :(
apollo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #2 
Jarick

Well, is he at Petsmart or Petco? I can tell you right out that neither would let you heal him and then bring him back. Not unless you worked there, and that bit is speculation. And, honestly, he'd probably only get sick again.

If it is Petsmart, point him out to an employee. I know for a fact that they are supposed to at least try to heal the sick animals they have. If it is Petco, I'd personally rescue him and not point him out for them to deal with. I was told outright by an employee there that they do not heal the sick fish. They euthanize them and fill the spot.

You can rescue him and try adopting him out if it really is just tearing you up inside. I know how hard it is seeing them sick, too. It drives my husband nuts how much of a bleeding heart I am, myself lol
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #3 
apollo1005

oops i meant to say petsmart the second time too! and the workers know he's sick.. one lady who worked there was looking at them with me, saying how pretty they all were, and pretty much said "aww this guy looks kind of sick.. huh" then shrugged and walked off. made me sooo mad. I've also seen a couple of their bettas dead, and in water that is nearly black.. I refuse to buy bettas from petsmart because every time i go in there is always a few of these horrible incidents :(

and that makes me extremely upset at petco, from what you said. I'm friends with a couple people that work there, and know personally that they try to take very good care of their fish. But I'll have to ask them about that.. its so awful and heartbreaking. Maybe thats why I never really see any "sick" fish there.. maybe they just like to give people the false impression that all their fish are healthy? :(
apollo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #4 
Aquatail

Do you know anyone that might be able to care for him if you can't keep him? I'm not sure about getting him for free, but if you pointed out how bad his fin rot is you might be able to get a discount. You could ask anyway, it wouldn't hurt. I personally have rescued a few bettas myself, one in a situation like this. Since you can't keep him, I'd see if you can find someone who can.

Edit: Actually, maybe you shouldn't mention it. I cannot confirm this but I have just read some posts about how if you point out sick fish they won't sell the fish because it's sick and they have a policy not to sell sick fish. From what I've read they have some sort of sick tank, but I have no idea if they actually do anything beyond that. Again though, I have no idea if this is true.

Last edited by Aquatail; 09-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #5 
Jarick

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case with Petco. Obviously, it's better to appear disease free, rather than to actually be healthy.. :/

As for Petsmart, talk to the manager over Pet Care, or even the store manager. And, don't just present it as being completely upset by the Betta care. How are you to know if ANY of their animals are healthy if the little ones aren't cared for? Send an email as well.

I work at Petsmart, in the Pet Care, and yes, there are a lot of things that have to be done everyday, and there are certain things we are expected to do, and say by company protocol. But! Animal care is the highest priority.

When I had my interview, it was interrupted by an associate coming from Banfield with a very sick corn snake. He really wasn't even a snake, more a flat piece of string. Steps had been taken to try and get him back to health and an employee decided that not feeding him for a week was better. Needless to say, the manager was livid. So please, take the extra step to point it out to them. We are held to a high standard and those who don't care shouldn't be involved with the animals.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #6 
Aquatail

I'd go with Jarick's suggestion and tallk to the manager. I never go to Petsmart so Jarick would know who to inform much better than I would as they work there. I'm glad animal care is the highest priority.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote