Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #11 
MichelleA

I actually changed his water in the hospital tank when i got home. No change in the rot. With little research i realized the melafix is not a good idea so ive put him back with the aq salt for now. Hes quickly deteriorating and im very worried at this point. Seems to be acting fime though
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #12 
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeptoad View Post
Your fish looks a bit like mine, though the "rot" is more widespread on your little guy. Mine is a mystery since whatever did it happened in only 3 days when I was away over the weekend.
Will check back to see how he does with the melafix...
It's always good to find the source of the problem and fix it. You can still figure out what went wrong even if it happened when you weren't there. Check the decorations in the tank, do you have plastic plants or sharp edges that would tear his fins? Test your water, make sure your water-change schedule is appropriate for the size of the tank, make sure it's the right temp., etc etc.
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #13 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
It's always good to find the source of the problem and fix it. You can still figure out what went wrong even if it happened when you weren't there. Check the decorations in the tank, do you have plastic plants or sharp edges that would tear his fins? Test your water, make sure your water-change schedule is appropriate for the size of the tank, make sure it's the right temp., etc etc.
Thanks. I started a thread a couple of days ago, but no real responses.
I've checked all the plants- nothing is plastic (all silk, but some have plastic "stems"), all water parameters tested fine (ammonia 0, nitrate/ite both 0), but my water pH is high (8.2). Temp is steady at 78-80 (I have a heater and thermometer). I change a 5 gallon tank 30-50% 1-2 x weekly. For one fish I would think that's adequate, but maybe not...

My fish is very, very active normally, which is why I thought tail biting was a possibility.

Anyway, sorry MichelleA for highjacking your thread. I hope your little guy improves soon. I have been doing daily 100% water changes (he is in a 1/2 gal bowl right now) with aquarium salt since Monday when I got home. If, after 5-7 days I see no improvement I think I will dose him one time with Maracyn 2 (just bought some) and see if that knocks out the problem.

Last edited by peeptoad; 09-05-2013 at 07:38 AM.
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #14 
MichelleA

No problem at all. Ley me know how that goes. Were both in the same boat

Last edited by MichelleA; 09-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote