Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 
Finley Jayne

Question Crowntail Dragonscale Bubble Nest Issues

I posted another thread as a guest but I got no answer, but I meet to know what's up with my fish so I joined. My betta is a Crowntail Dragonscale male and he's beautiful (in my biased opinion... Yes, that's him in my profile pic). But I have one problem: he doesn't/can't make a bubble nest. I hear that it's natural for a male to make a nest, but my fish won't. He swims to the top of the tank and blows a bubble, but it pops as I watch. I don't know if it's because he isn't trying or he's simply unable. I have him in a gallon or less tank and he has plenty of room to swim and move. I am feeding him on Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley Flakes, but that shouldn't haw any effect on his nest building, should it? What can I do to encourage the neat building, and is he just lazy or unable? I would REALLY like to know if something is wrong.
Thanks.
-Fin
Finley Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually he's not a Dragonscale, sorry to burst your bubble >.<

And they don't have make nests, they only do it when they want to breed but that doesn't mean you should breed them. Breeding Betta's takes a lot of time and effort and knowledge to do correctly and to care for the fry. But just because he doesn't make one doesn't mean he can't or whatever, he just doesn't feel like it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Also you say "in a gallon or less tank", so what size is it? It should be a gallon or more, less means that you have to do a water change on his tank every day just for him to be healthy. A one gallon should be changed just about 2-3 times a week, more being healthier for him.

Also the Tetra foods really aren't that great, they can often cause constipation since it's low quality food. If you really want to see his colors shine, get some New Life Spectrum (Betta Formula or Small Fish formula works) or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets; both are two of the best foods that you can get for him! And not really expensive either so it won't break your bank account.

So those are just something of the things you can do to make him even healthier and more content.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #3 
Finley Jayne

The store said he was a Crowntail Dragonscale, so... Yeah. And the tank has enough room for him to swim, so I think he's all good. And okay good. I'm glad nothing's wrong with him then. Lol thanks for answering.
Finley Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Stores tend to lie lol, sorry but that's pretty common unless its a small locally own store and even then they get mixed up. But I can tell you that he's definitely not dragon scale.

It's not so much how much room he has to swim but it's how quickly the ammonia will build up. You wouldn't want to live in a 4 foot by 4 foot bathroom, you can use the toilet but it only flushes maybe once a week....that doesn't sound fun does it? Well that's basically what you're fish is living in. They don't only poop but they also urinate in a way where they excrete ammonia from their gills plus other things that get into the water.

Soooo the bigger volume of water, the less that you have to do water changes. All tanks have to be done weekly, regardless of size unless it's like a 1000 gallon tank. But think of it as a bigger toilet that can hold more before it overflows but it still get's nasty by the end of the week.

Not so pretty when I relate it to that huh? lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble nests, help confused, nest, problem