Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 
bmidy

Post SBD betta

Yesterday morning my Betta had gotten SBD and was not able to stay under water, he kept floating to the top on his side. I am a new fish person altogether so I had no idea what was going on and was really upset. I looked into it and found it was SBD as he couldn't control his balance either.

So I spent a lot of time with him and put some aquarium salts in the tank and by really early this morning he looks a lot less bloated and is staying under water fine. He looks a little out of it still though and may be a little off balance? Not sure.

Anyway, my question is, now that he's swimming underwater fine and not bloated, can I start to feed him again?

UPDATE: Came home today and he seems to be spending a lot of time at the bottom, resting. Is this normal? Maybe he's really tired from having to move around so much from the top. I kind of worked him a lot because I was scared he was dying and kept moving my finger around to keep him going to it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 but moved to his old .5
What temperature is your tank? 78 deg. F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two times a day, 2 pellets each (suggestions appreciated)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week for .5 gal but just got the 3.5 had not done a change yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use crystal geiser bottled 1 gallon bottles ($1) so I don't use conditioner but I have conditioner if needed with tap

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Was bloated and floating, now looks a lot less bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Looks sort of tired, maybe slightly upset
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used aquarium salt, betta fish revive, fasted for 24 hours.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? Had for a month
bmidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
bmidy

Bump
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) I would stop the Aquarium salt.

Aquarium salt contains sodium, which can cause fluid retention, bloating, and buoyancy issues. It is only needed for external issues, such as minor external infections. If he doesn't have this, it is not needed.

2) I would increase the frequency of his water changes.

A 0.5 gallon tank will build up toxins, wastes and bacteria quickly. These will make him susceptible to illness and disease. A 0.5 gal tank should have a complete water change every day, or every other day.

Clean, warm water and good nutrition is the best way to keep them healthy.

If you keep him in the 3.5 gallon tank, you can do fewer water changes. Do a 100% water change once a week, and a partial (about 50%) once a week.

3) I would consider a quality protein-based pellet.

What brand of pellets do you feed him? Look at the list of ingredients. Foods that contain a lot of fillers/grains (soybean, wheat, corn, gluten, etc) can contribute to bloating, constipation and buoyancy issues.

The two most often recommended foods on this forum are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both have quality proteins, and tend to be well tolerated by bettas.

4) If the above changes don't help his buoyancy issues, I would try a low dosage of Epsom salt for a few days.

I recommend trying the above suggestions first. However, if he still has issues, I would add a small amount of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) to his tank.

Come back here and give us an update if he isn't doing better in a few days, and we'll give you instructions on how to use this.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 
Npinja

It sounds like he is lethargic right now.Try letting him rest a few days. As for the feeding, try feeding him 2 pellets once a day and then increasing it to 2-3 pellets 2 times a day.
Npinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 
bmidy

He looks really sad still, he won't play the follow-the-finger game. I changed his tank today just in case the meds or salts were effecting him.

I just hope he gets out of this state soon, I fed him but he hasn't eaten it yet.

Hopefully he is just lethargic like you say Npinja and he will get out of it, thank you.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #6 
bmidy

As for food, I use Aqueon Betta food.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aqueon is a decent food. It contains some grains and fillers though (wheat, corn soybean, gluten, etc.) These can cause bloating, constipation and bloating in sensitive fish.

On this forum, the two most often recommended foods are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. They contain quality fish proteins, and are well tolerated by most fish.

Petco carries both brands. Petsmart carries Omega One.

Can you find any mosquito larvae? This is what bettas eat in their natural habitat. If you can find some, rinse them in a little water, then feed them to him. I use a turkey baster to suck them up.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 09-06-2013 at 01:57 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote