Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 
10asartin

Juggling my tank stocking

So, I recently purchased a trio of awesome German Blue Rams Cichlids from YuniteSDRams. I got a mated pair and they threw in an additional small female for free. I had heard that it is possible for them coexist with a betta, and so I added them to my 20 gallon long NPT.

Side Note: I can not give enough praise to YuniteSDRams! Originally I had purchased a pair from a very nice Fish store in Nashville, TN, and the female died within 48 hours and the male was doing poorly as well. After some more research I found out that many fish stores purchase their rams from international sources that inject hormones into the fish to bring out their color. Unfortunately, these hormones make for a very fragile fish, one that is very poor at adjusting to new aquariums. The best thing about YuniteSDRams is that they never use hormone injections so you get very healthy rams.

The rams are thriving in the tank and are experimenting with building several nests in the sand, but I found that my betta was very shy of them and every now and then the rams would nip at him. Therefore, I immediately moved him into a divided 10 gallon and he is now happy as a clam.

If you have read this far lol here is where I am asking for your input. My 20 gallon long currently holds the 3 rams, 12 harlequin rasboras, and 2 otos. I am looking to add a few more fish to complete the tank, I do not really want another schooling fish since I already have one group, nor do I want to add any cories as I find that they cause my otos to stay hidden rather than out and about foraging.
I would really like to get something unique and uncommon, but I know many of those types often require larger tanks.
I am open to any suggestions, doesn't even have to be fish. I could do inverts or dwarf frogs as well.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 
10asartin

I just had the idea of maybe doing a King Betta in the tank. What is everyone's thoughts on this idea? I am not sure of their temperament, but with the shorter fins and and bigger bodies it seems like they would be less intimidated.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote