Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #1 
sugarunicorn

Food for pygmy corys with a piggy betta tankmate?

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a dilemma here as to what to feed my pygmy corys.

I have a small group of 4 in a 10 gallon with my doubletail betta, Pico. Pico eats omega one betta pellets.. not that he's picky. In fact, he isn't picky at all - he's a straight up pig. ANYTHING edible that enters the tank he will gobble up without a second thought and he'd probably eat to the point of illness if allowed. He even tries to eat bits of algae wafer, which is just puzzling to me. He acts perpetually ravenous.

This creates a bit of an issue when it comes to feed my pygmy corys - I try to feed them after I give him his pellets, but he just gobbles those up in 5 seconds and goes after their food too. He's a really docile fish and leaves his tankmates alone and never shows aggression.. he's just a pig who is obsessed with food.

I've had the best luck with Fluval Shrimp Granules - they're super small and sink really fast, so they're harder for him to get to once they make it to the bottom.

I guess my question is... is it okay to keep feeding my corys this? My tank doesn't have much in the way of algae and I know corys are carnivores - I'm just concerned that since this food is intended for shrimp, that it isn't the best bet for the corys.

Ingredients are: Fish meal, krill, corn meal, squid meal, wheat flour, earthworm meal, dried spirulina algae, wheat gluten meal, dried seaweed meal (Bangiaceae), dried yeast, squid liver meal, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, dried mango, salmon oil (preserved with ethoxyquin), montmorillonite clay, vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, DL-methionine, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, chitosan, yeast extract, fructooligosaccharide, ferrous carbonate, inositol, vitamin E supplement, manganous oxide, lecithin, citric acid, vitamin D3 supplement, niacin, zinc oxide, riboflavin-5 phosphate, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-calcium pantothenate, copper oxide, calcium iodate, biotin, folic acid, cobalt carbonate

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 
10asartin

I can't comment on the shrimp granules, as I have no experience with them. However, there are some methods you could try to keep your betta from eating their food. You can try feeding the cories with the tank light out so the betta can't easily find the food or you could simply cup the betta and feed your cories. Personally, when my betta was with cories I cupped him to feed the cories.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #3 
sugarunicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
I can't comment on the shrimp granules, as I have no experience with them. However, there are some methods you could try to keep your betta from eating their food. You can try feeding the cories with the tank light out so the betta can't easily find the food or you could simply cup the betta and feed your cories. Personally, when my betta was with cories I cupped him to feed the cories.
I had considered that, I was just worried it might stress him too much to do regularly. What were you feeding the cories?
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 
10asartin

Originally I fed algae wafer, but then I switched to my betta pellets. I would throw them into the water which usually would make them sink to the bottom, plus they are consumed very quickly compared to the wafer pieces which allows me to quickly feed them and release the betta.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote