Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Angry What is his malfunction?

What size is your tank? 10G divided
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? 2 sponge filters
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? sponge filter
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? another betta, 1 nerite, 1 japanese trapdoor snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1X a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1X a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is a yellow CT and his fins kinda have developed some red to it and have gotten shorter..maybe a little clamped? I dont know if the red is a normal thing. or not.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? rests on his tail tips. He will swim and then just float down untill his points touch the bottom. SOmetimes he is situated where his tail fin is laying on the floor but his body is angled up. He also has more rapid then normal gill movement anda he has had that off and on over the past 2 months. Melthelen blue seems to be the cure for whatever it is but I dont like giving "dips" or "baths".
I cant figure out if its just OLD AGE or there is something wrong with him. I think there is something wrong with him but no idea what
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months or so ago he started acting off
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? tried general cure and anti parasite fish food - he was bloated pretty badly and I am not sure if he has internal parasites or just badly constipated. His poo was kinda white and stringy but not all of it. Now his poop is normal and his tummy isnt swollen anymore but he still acts like he has SBD. He will just float up till he hits something or reahes the surface or he will float downwards.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had columnaris when I got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from walmart about March of last year so have had him about 1.5 years...he was still young so he should be about 2??

Currently he is in a breeder net that is in a 3ish gallon tank with 1 teaspoon of epsom incase he has internal parasites/sbd

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-06-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #2 
Sakura8

So the General Cure seemed to have gotten rid of the internal parasites if his bloating went down but he's still acting off? Maybe got a secondary bacterial infection on top of things. What do you have left in your arsenal? Do you still have Kanaplex? Or, since he's in his own tank, you can try a meth blue soak for a week. Let's see . . . 1 tsp per 10gal, so 1/4 tsp in a 3gal or so. You can use that on top of the epsom salts. If that fails, try Kanaplex if you have it. You *could* try Maracyn 2 if you ran out of Kanaplex but there's always that possibility that it could damage his kidneys and cause any dropsy symptoms to worsen.

If he had pretty severe parasites and bloating, his swim bladder may have gotten damaged by the bloating and that could be why he is at an angle all the time and not quite willing to swim. If it was damaged, not much that can be done. :(

Is this El Kabong?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

Yup, Its El Kabong.

Quote:
So the General Cure seemed to have gotten rid of the internal parasites if his bloating went down but he's still acting off?
Yeah, His tummy was kinda large for a 2 or so weeks but its pretty normal looking now. I did add some kannaplex last night. I cheked on him a little bit ago and he is resting in a floating plastic plant.

I have furan 2, triple sulfa, kannaplex, maracyn 2, general cure, metrodozinal and Jungle internal parasite powder. It looks like yellow sugar. I think its been discontinued for a while, I cant find any info on it online. ooh and quick cure, meethelene blue and liquid fungus cure
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You have an impressive medicine cabinet. Stick with the Kanaplex for at least 3 doses. If that has no effect, you can either switch him over to a meth blue soak in his hospital tank or continue with the Kanaplex for a further 3 doses.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #5 
athenr3134

bettas live between 1.5 hours to 3 years and it sounded like he started off with swim bladder disease since he would swim and then fall right down like a rock and lay on his fins. also how much food do you give him at a time. i suggest one to two pellets a day it doesn't starve the fish they have a very very tiny stomach. that's why his belly was large for two weeks he was being over fed. im dealing that situation right now. over fed and clamped fins. FYI next time you get a betta never go to walmart they mistreat them. you may have in fact gotten a sick fish and not know it. he might have been in an out of sickness. who knows. hope some of this helps for the future!
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote