Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #1 
SummerOj

Unhappy My new betta....and his "tank"

So I saw this little guy at Hellmart. He looked at me and seemed so sad :( so I got him and another one for my cousin (they were the only two alive).
I think theres something wrong with his fins, I know sometimes they can be kinda rough, but I'm kinda concerned about his, I included some pictures.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00080.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00081.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00082.jpg
And about his new home.......my mom only let me buy a 1 gallon Kritter Keeper (?) so that's all I have for him right now, but it seemed better than his nasty little cup. So I wondering if that would be okay? For now? And would i need to cycle that if I used some bottled water? I hate seeing this little guy in such a tiny cup.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #2 
lilyrazen

You can't cycle a one gallon, since you probably don't have a filter in it, and it's too small to cycle. He should be ok for now.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

A one gallon will go through a "sort of" cycle but with a tank that small you need to do a 50-100% water change daily to every other day to keep the water parameters safe. He'll be perfectly fine in there as long as you keep up with water changes... they're the #1 best thing to keep fish healthy.

Its hard to see from the pics but he looks like he's bitten his tail. Can you try to get some in his kritter keeper with him flaring (put a mirror up to the tank and snap as he flares at himself)... that will show the damage best.

Tail biting can be from stress or some fish are just biters and nothing will stop them (I have one). To help with his stress you can add a small amount of aquarium salt or you can buy some Indian Almond Leaves off the net (really cheap but hard to find locally).

Usually after some TLC and good food his tail should heal. Another good thing to get is a heater. Depending on how warm you keep your house you can add a hydor mini heater (7.5 watts) to a 1 gallon even though the heater is designed for 2.5+ gallons. I have one in my 1 gall and it does great but I do keep my room cool.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #4 
SummerOj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
A one gallon will go through a "sort of" cycle but with a tank that small you need to do a 50-100% water change daily to every other day to keep the water parameters safe. He'll be perfectly fine in there as long as you keep up with water changes... they're the #1 best thing to keep fish healthy.

Its hard to see from the pics but he looks like he's bitten his tail. Can you try to get some in his kritter keeper with him flaring (put a mirror up to the tank and snap as he flares at himself)... that will show the damage best.

Tail biting can be from stress or some fish are just biters and nothing will stop them (I have one). To help with his stress you can add a small amount of aquarium salt or you can buy some Indian Almond Leaves off the net (really cheap but hard to find locally).

Usually after some TLC and good food his tail should heal. Another good thing to get is a heater. Depending on how warm you keep your house you can add a hydor mini heater (7.5 watts) to a 1 gallon even though the heater is designed for 2.5+ gallons. I have one in my 1 gall and it does great but I do keep my room cool.
Thanks for that advice! My room is the hottest in the house, since I keep a heater in it, and my room gets pretty warm, I keep it about 80 degrees >.< haha. So I just put a thermometer in his tank so I can monitor the temp. So far its been staying right about 79-80 degrees, and I think he's doin fine.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #5 
SummerOj

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00087.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00085.jpg

Sorry if you still cant tell with those pictures, he won't flare and he runs away when I get my camera out. :/
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Don't worry about the pictures... it usually takes them a few weeks to warm up to you.. some fish don't like the camera.. some (like my "fish") LOVE the camera ;)

It does look like he has bitten his tail. What I would do is buy some aquarium salt (from petsmart, petco, or walmart.. whatever is convenient)... add the recommended amount (which I think is like 1tsp per gallon). Make sure you fully dissolve it before adding it bc the salt crystals can burn your fish if not dissolved.

Everytime you do a water change (doing one everyday 90-100% is best while he heals) add the same amt of salt.. DON'T add the salt unless you take the water out bc this salt doesn't go away unless you take the water out so you don't want to over salt your fish (he is a freshwater fish so too much salt is bad).

With the daily water changes and the warm temp he should start to heal in a few weeks. If you want you can also give him good food. Frozen brineshrimp or bloodworms are full of good nutrients (but some are a little queasy when feeding them so its all about your preference). Another forum I'm on has a great recipe. If you want I'll ask the poster if she minds me sharing the recipe. I'm not sure if linking to other forums is allowed here so if you want the recipe let me know and I'll PM you (that is if the other person is ok with me sharing her recipe).

The key is fresh water and patience. After using the salt for 10days I would stop (you don't want to use too much). After that just keep up with your water changes (my trick is 50% one day.. wait a day.. then 100% and clean the gravel the next day.. then wait a day.. then 50% again).. this keeps your water nice and fresh until you are able to upgrade his tank to a 2+ gallon.

I hope all this helps.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #7 
Jazattackk

Give your fishy a 2.5 gallon tank and keep the water clean. :)
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Congratulations on your new buddy. I know you'll take the best care of him that you can.

Did you pick out a name for him yet (other than Lucky)?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Oh yes.. need a name.. and PICTURES :D
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #10 
SummerOj

I was thinking about naming him Joshy, after my boyfriend haha. Because when I found this little dude, he looked like a pale blue/silver (which is my boyfriends favorite color hehe), but now that he's been swimmin around real good, I can see he's really a nice blue. I like the name Joshy though, seems cute.

Oh yes, and he was a Hellmart rescue. I didn't wanna leave him there :(