Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
Sylerwin

Fin rot? Trouble breathing?

I put this in the "betta tanks and setup" section but I feel it should be here instead:

Okay so my current setup is a 10 gal heated/aerated/filtered. I have one male betta, 3 african dwarf frogs, 2 assassin snails, and a TON of pest snails in there. Past few days my betta has been stressed, and showing signs of torn fins/fin rot. (all decor in tank is safe for fins) I checked the water parameters and I'm getting this:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
It's 80F, lots of live plants and hiding spaces. He's been by the filter, darting back and forth, and clamping his fins. Someone suggested the frogs are stressing him and that I should remove him. However, I'm not sure if this is an issue, they've been in there for about 2 months together and never showed any signs of stress until the last couple of days. I thought it was a water issue because 3 frogs, betta, and ALL THE SNAILS migrated over to the filter, as if enjoying the flow. I thought maybe it was too hot but that was fine, 80F. I have an aerator on the other side of the tank so it shouldn't be an air issue. I'm not sure why he's so stressed, and all tank inhabitants have been over by the filter like crazy.
My other option is this:
5.5 gal, filtered (high flow, filter up to 20gal...blocking with fake plants), heated, but no lid so temp fluctuates a lot anyway. Fake (silk) plants, and a jar decoration for hiding. No light. It's not cycled, readings are this:
Ammonia: 0-.25ppm (closer to 0)
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I could do a water change in the 10 gal and add that water to the 5.5gal. However I want to explore other options before doing that.

My betta is now sitting towards the bottom of the tank with a lot of gill movement as if "panting" and having trouble breathing. He can get to the surface for air, not sure what the issue is...

Thanks

Video attempt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...90706322218027

photos of 10gal and 5.5 gal.
Attached Images

Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #2 
jenjen182

How old is the betta? He looks like a full grown adult to me, and those sound like some of the symptoms mine got before he passed on. Mine was about 2 years old, and he did do that breathing thing at the bottom of the tank. Occasionally, he would swim up to the top for air, but he would go straight back down after that.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #3 
Sylerwin

I've only had him for about 2 months, got him at the local Petsmart. I know he wasn't there for long, I look through the bettas almost every week
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #4 
jenjen182

Hmm... so he's not that old.... my only guess it that he's stressed out by something... anything distracting in and around the tank? Maybe the filter is bothering him... I would try unplugging that for a bit.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #5 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
Hmm... so he's not that old.... my only guess it that he's stressed out by something... anything distracting in and around the tank? Maybe the filter is bothering him... I would try unplugging that for a bit.
Same filter for the entire time I've had him. I'm afraid to unplug it because he seems to be favoring the filter, hanging by it on purpose. He could easily get away from the flow :/