Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #1 
Just Add Love

Tank Problems

Hi Everyone,

Well I got a new Betta and I love him BUT I have not been able to see him really. The problem is the new tank, I think.

When I bought him I made a big to-do about getting him a tank that had 2 gallons at least AND a filter. My mom was with me and she is the one who said "Its a betta just by a bowl". Well I had been reading on them and knew they were like other fish and a they needed a real filter and room to move. So I bout a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter from Petco. It works fine... to well I think. I dont think he likes the bubble from the filter... AT ALL. He sulks at the bottom when there on and doesnt move... When there are not any bubbles going he moves around and swims and eats.

So I guess I am asking what should I do? Go buy a Kritter Keeper? But then what do I do with me other tank? Can I return it? If I cant return it I can always give it to my sister who has guppies but then I am out of 30 bucks and I don't want to have to that. And then I will have to deal with my pride. My mom said he didnt need a filter but I had to have one. Would he be fine with no filter?

Well tell me what you would do?

Thanks!
Just Add Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #2 
ThePearlFish

Do you have a pic of the tank? If it is one of those under gravel filters, I would toss that filter, they make those bubbles that most Bettas don't appreciate too much. I had the bubbly kind of filter for my last Betta (the one in my avatar) and he would swim only when it was off too.

I don't feel like the tank NEEDS a filter, you just have to keep on top of the water changes to keep the water fresh and clean. It IS somewhat nice to have one though.

What the Bettas need more is a heater since they come from a warm climate. do you have a heater for your fish? another reason for the 'sulking' he is doing could be is because he is cold if you don't or the water isn't warm enough (approx. 74-84 degrees)

Is he eating? If he is that should be a good sign that it might not be a medical issue that he doesn't move too much.

I think you are right though and it is the filter.

Also, good for you for doing research before getting him :) you are right, Bettas seem to tend to thrive best in larger environments (2.5 g and up)

Um, I think I covered what all you asked. :) Welcome to Betta Forum!

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #3 
Just Add Love

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You helped me loads. Yes my filter is one od those under gravel filters. Do you know of a filter that does work a little better then the undergravel one?

Yes he does have a heater, I purchased one of those as well (much to my mom's dismay). He is eating all of his food so thats all in place.

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #4 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Yes he does have a heater, I purchased one of those as well (much to my mom's dismay).
^^ that made me laugh :P. I remember the times with my animals when I had to fight with my mom because she didn't understand why I had to get them certain things or why I took care of my animals in very specific ways.

I am not 100% sure about what type of filter is good for a tank that size, I did a search and found this type, specifically under the "Betta Section" and it says it is for tanks up to 3 gallons, so it is a mini one, maybe someone else can say whether this is a good one or suggest a better.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4066/product.web

~TPF
Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #5 
Just Add Love

Glad I could make you chuckle! Yeah she keeps telling me "He's a fish" in her serious tone. Then she proceeds to roll her eyes when I go back to obbsessing over him.

Thank you for finding that. I will take a look at my LPS and see if it carries them... If my mom will take me....

Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #6 
Just Add Love

I just noticed we are both from VA! I am in the Stafford area.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #7 
ThePearlFish

Woodbridge :)

Just came down from MD where my parents are several months ago.

~TPF
Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #8 
Just Add Love

Oh thats cool, you literally right up the road about 20-30 minutes.... With out all the traffic. If you add that in... about an eternity away :)
Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #9 
Eolith

Yup, I get a lot of the same baffled annoyance from my parents, sister, friends... etc etc about how particular I am with caring for my fishies.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #10 
Just Add Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith View Post
Yup, I get a lot of the same baffled annoyance from my parents, sister, friends... etc etc about how particular I am with caring for my fishies.
Yeah, they just dont seem to understand that fish need to be taking care of just like any other animal. Eh I dunno. I treat my fish the same as I treat my horses. With the best care I can. Even if sometimes I do go a smidge overboard.