Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #361 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos puron View Post
I have some questions I'm planning to start a ntp on a 75 gal tank but I'm starting with low light plants such as java moss anubias and stuff like that at this point I'm looking for the lights I would like to get led fixtures because they don't use that much energy ( just trying to go green lol ) but I want to know since I can't use the watt per gallon rule should I based on lumens if so how many lumens would it has to be?
LED fixtures often don't even provide the min light requirements. However, there have been some recent LED fixtures that say they are for planted tanks and they do, do well with plants. IMO, LEDs cost WAY too much and really aren't worth it to me. I can spend that money on something else my tank actually NEEDS.

FYI: It costs $5 a month to run my planted 75 gallon. That includes a canister filter rated for 100 gallon tank, a 150w heater, a power head rated for a 30 gallon(for my DIY CO2) and my fluorescent lights.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #362 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitra View Post
So you have to have soil for a planted tank to work? I have 10lb or gravel in my 10g with stem plants. It's only been a couple days but im very confused and just bought Nutrafin Plant Gro (with Nitrogen, Baron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum and Zinc, I think B vitamin too). Is this all i need? The highest maintenance plant I have is Limnophila aromatica Limnophila Aromatica Live Aquarium Plant FOR Fish Tank Shrimp Snail CO2 | eBay

Is this plant gro all I need for this plant to survive (i also have 4 other types but lower maintenance). My betta loves his new tank but I hope i can keep these plants alive. Also I only have LED light that came with my Tetra 10 gallon tank from walmart. I dont know if this light is suitable so I want to buy a new hood with better lights for my plants can anyone give me a link :)
You don't NEED the soil for your plants to flourish, but it certain makes it 10x easier. And the soil is what makes it a NPT.

Are you sure your tank is 10 gallons? The only tetra kit i see on walmarts site is a 5 gallon. If it's the standard rectangle tank, just get one of those swirly florescent bulbs or one of these AqueonŽ Mini Compact 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart and you're good to go!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #363 
Loz

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread.. started my own planted tank today using this advice.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #364 
ringo3632

I'M Not Sure The Proper Lighting, If You Go To Pets MaRt They Have LightingFor Plants. But No, I Use Gravel With My Planted Tanks. You Just Need To Make Sure You Have A Good Amount Of Food For The Plants. Whether It's Plant Food Or The Bioload From The Tank, With Those YouShould Be Good.

Sorry About The Goofy Caps... My PhoneDoesn't Like ThIs Forum....
ringo3632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #365 
Mitra

This is the hood i have and I bought it in Canada. http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1.../questions.htm

And that is good to know that I dont absolutely need soil because it would be a pain to try and get all that gravel out from an established tank (no idea how I would do that honestly. Hmm so I just need to replace my LED lights with a florescent light bulb using the same hood like the one FishyFishy89 linked? Thank you everyone :)
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #366 
FishyFishy89

Hm....I've never seen that hood before.
Here's one that you can purchase, it is compatible for fluorescent bulbs. All Glass Aquarium AAG20009 20 inch Incandescent Economy Black Hood: Other Pet Supplies : Walmart.com
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #367 
Saber

I have a couple of questions regarding lighting.

1.) The tank I purchased off Craigslist is 45 gallons, but it came with a light/hood that is probably meant for a 20 gallon tank or so, as it is only about half of the entire length of the tank. Can I use this for my NPT with the proper bulb, or should I purchase a new hood that spans the length of my tank?

2.) What kind of bulb should I buy? I know it needs to be 6500K, but a lot of the ones I am seeing online seem to say that they fit ONLY into a certain type of hood..? Are there others that will fit into any old hood?

Thanks. :)
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #368 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
I have a couple of questions regarding lighting.

1.) The tank I purchased off Craigslist is 45 gallons, but it came with a light/hood that is probably meant for a 20 gallon tank or so, as it is only about half of the entire length of the tank. Can I use this for my NPT with the proper bulb, or should I purchase a new hood that spans the length of my tank?

2.) What kind of bulb should I buy? I know it needs to be 6500K, but a lot of the ones I am seeing online seem to say that they fit ONLY into a certain type of hood..? Are there others that will fit into any old hood?

Thanks. :)
You'd probably do good with another light, either with that one or replace it. Just depends on how much light it puts out and covers the bottom of the tank.

Depending on what size light bulbs you need so long as it's a 6500/6700K then it will work.

Most of my tanks use CFL's from Wal-Mart but the few longer flourscent lights Stone either gets from Wal-Mart or orders them online from some ebay store. He got a 4 bulb, with moonlights and a timer for less than 100.00 off of ebay.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #369 
Saber

Thanks a lot peachii. I noticed that the bulb I purchased at Petco says that it only fits into a certain type of hood made by that company - I think the bulb was especially made for that so I am going to have to return it. I'll look into getting another hood while I'm there too. =)
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #370 
thesadseahorse

Can't the soil make the tank messy and dirty if it somehow gets disturbed or rooted up by something? I've been doing a lot of late night research and just discovered this. I'm kind of thinking about restoring this abandoned 40 gallon I have and turning it into a beautiful planted tank(what my developing mental image of it looks like anyways), and an NPT seems like a great option. Hard work, yes, but I can deal with that.

(im just asking generally anyone whos experienced in this kind of thing)
Does the substrate even need any cleaning?
What kind of snails would any of you recommend? Snails multiply quite easily, can they become a big nuisance or anything? What do you do with them when you have too many and need to remove them from the tank(if this happens)?
What kind or shrimp do you recommend?
How do you go about planting? Do you just stick them in the substrate where they're touching the soil?

BTW: I feel really dumb asking, but what is anaerobic soil?
thesadseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote