Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #1 
LUMBERJACK

A few questions about aquariums

Hello, after keeping my Betta in a 1 gallon bowl for about a year I have noticed that my fish is not very healthy and it even seems to have developed a mild case of fin rot. So I decided to go get an aquarium for my fish in order to keep it healthy. I bought a two gallon hexagonal aquarium that is made by petco and after reading up about aquariums on the internet I've realized I have no idea how to maintain it So the questions I have are these:

1. The aquarium came with an undergravel filter and I don't know how to change the water or clean the gravel. With a 2 gallon aquarium do I change all of the water or just some of it?

2. Is 2 gallons too small of an aquarium?

3. Bettatalk.com says that undergravel filters should not be used for betta fish in small aquariums. Is this true?

4. Should I get a heater for my fish? Some websites say to keep the water at 78 degrees, bettatalk.com says room temperature is fine and a heater will kill my fish...

Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for being patient with me
LUMBERJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I don't know what Betta talk is but it sounds very uninformative.

I'm not sure about undergravel filters but I've heard they are not very effective. With a two gallon you will need to cycle (I'll explain if you need) after cycling you will need to do 2 50% water changes a week and vacuum the gravel during one of those changes. To vacuum you simply buy a vacuum (get the small one for a 2 gal).. you basically create a vacuum (just follow the directions on the vacuum its pretty simple... or do what I do and suck on the end of the hose until the water begins to flow).

Two gallons should be fine.. bigger is better always but two is very good for one fish.

an undergravel filter should have no effect on your fish.. unless it bubbles. Some bettas don't tolerate bubblers since they like still water.

A heater is a must have IMO. If you get a heater I would buy the Hydor Mini 7.5 watt heater or one that says it is ok for 2 gallon aquariums. Bettas do best at temps anywhere from 76-82 degrees. Its just important to watch how hot your heater gets.. this is where it can become dangerous but it is very unlikely this will happen unless you get a heater that is too powerful.

Some tips.

The three things that will make your fish thrive are Clean Water, Warm Temps, and Good Food. If you feed a good pellet and supplement with frozen food every now and then your fish should do very well.

Be careful with decorations and plants... bettas have very delicate fins and they tear easily.. silk or live plants are best (better start off with silk IMO). A good way to test is to take pantyhose and run them along your decorations.. if they snag sand the decoration down or get rid of it.Betta need a place to hide so having lots of plants and cave or two is a good thing.

Thats really all I can think of for now but if you have any more questions I can try to answer :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. 1fish2fish covered it pretty well, I think. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #4 
iheartmyfishies

If you have Betta questions, it's best you ask them here. This bettatalk place doesn't seem to have its facts straight.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

yeah I just looked at that site and there are a bunch of errors. Don't get me wrong *some* of the info was right and they have a big page boycotting betta in a vase but besides that its pretty much wrong.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 AM   #6 
LUMBERJACK

Thanks for all the replies guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I don't know what Betta talk is but it sounds very uninformative.

I'm not sure about undergravel filters but I've heard they are not very effective. With a two gallon you will need to cycle (I'll explain if you need)
Yes if you please could that would be great.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

I wrote out a thread that pretty much explains it. Look for "Fish In Safe Cycling". It pretty much goes over everything step by step but if you have specific questions feel free to ask :)
Old 12-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #8 
LUMBERJACK

Ok thank you I will check it out.

EDIT: Just took a look at it, very informative, thanks again

Now I just remembered a couple more questions I need to ask.

How exactly do I do water changes? Do I just vacuum out some of the water and then replace that water with new water?

Also is it ok to use bottled spring water for my aquarium? I was going to ask in my OP but I forgot.

Last edited by LUMBERJACK; 12-31-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Your welcome.. let me know if you have questions.