Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 AM   #1 
FinnsMom

Help needed with persistent cloudy water

I am a new participant in this site and have found the information and advice very useful. I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having with my daughter's betta, Finn and with keeping his tank clear.

Up until 3 days ago (for the prior 3-4 months), we have been very successful in keeping Finn's tank (1 gal.) clean and clear. He gets a 100% change 1-2 times per week, depending on what seems to be needed. He seems to be doing well - eats enthusiastically, is active and has developed quite a personality (okay, maybe that's just me projecting).

Today, I had to change his water (100%) for the third day in a row because of a mysterious clouding in the water. Finn does not appear to be significantly negatively impacted by the clouding, just slows down some. Once I change the water, our boy Finn goes into overdrive with his activity.

I am really at a loss for what is causing the clouding. It is not excess food (he eats all his flakes and his occasional bloodworm treats) on the bottom or uncleaned decorative stones or use of cleaning agents (I don't use them). The only difference I can find is that we ran out of the original water conditioner and have begun using another brand when changing Finn's water. Please help - I worry the clouding is an indication of something wrong with Finn or could cause an issue if it continues (plus, I really don't want to clean the tank every day).

We are going to get some testing materials tomorrow so we can better monitor the ammonia and pH levels, as well as the temperature. His tank tends to be room temporature (which is a little cooler than the stated recommended temperature), so I am thinking we need to add a heater. Also, his tank is near our sliders in the kitchen, which means he gets some sun in his tank, but this is not new.

Sorry this is so long. I tried to include everything I could think of. Any advice, suggestions or admonishments would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
FinnsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. What brand of conditioner did you switch to? I had an issue with Stresscoat gunking up my water because of the aloe vera in it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #3 
FinnsMom

New conditioner is TopFin. It says it protects fish with four slime coat enhancers. I don't remember the original water conditioner - I stupidly threw it away thinking one was as good as another and I had another bottle. Ugh!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would recommend Prime or Aquasafe. Does the Top Fin have aloe vera in it?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #5 
FinnsMom

It does not say that it has Aloe in it, so guessing not.

Wondering if it is possible that it is reacting to the sun light Finn's tank gets during the day (not direct sun, but some).

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It could be. Try moving it out of the sun, if you have a spot to put it.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

I used to use top fin but it started clouding my tanks too. When I got my first betta 4 years ago I never had problems then they changed something and it started clouding up on me. Prime is a really good product if your considering switching... but it is very concentrated so you only need a tiny amount.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I use Aqua and I love it. Even though your fish eats the flakes and bloodworms eventually, they still cloud the tank somewhat. That's why I turned to pellets instead of the flakes. But it does sound like it's the conditioner you're using.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote