Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #1 
TankObsessed14

Exclamation Betta Turned WHITE!

Help me please. My betta is turning white on it's body, like see through, and only sits in the corner top of the tank. He moves a tiny bit, but that is about it. Does not eat or anything for 2 days.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:0 ppm
pH:7.2 pH
Hardness:-
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body is white, almost clear looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic and does not eat, stays at the top corner of tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. I gave him melafix, but I feel like it made it worse. =/
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from the store not too long ago, so 1 yr- 1 1/2 yr
TankObsessed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #2 
TankObsessed14

Here is a picture kind of poor quality. Basically he was a vibrant red before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4czyhf0l6x...0909-00411.jpg
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

First off, stop the aquarium salt. That will only hurt him! Aquarium salt should not be used for maintinence no matter what the package says to you! It puts uncessary stress on the Betta's kidney's as he tries to process out the salt from the water.

Also, get some conditioner for your water! This is absolutely necessary! Not just to remove the chlorine from water but also heavy metals, sometimes ammonia and nitrites which are all harmful to fish! I guarantee you, if you do this and give him clean water he will start feeling a little better! Also he's probably not 1 year old but more like 4-8 months old if you got him at a pet store.

Can we get some pictures of him? Also, try doing twice weekly water changes, try to do one 50% water change and one that is around 80-90% water change. Once a week would be fine if he had a filter to move the water and remove some waste but he doesn't. So twice weekly and he should be feeling better after that!

EDIT: ah, he's just stressed. He's not turning white but just pale. He may also change color as well if he has the Marble Gene which causes them to change colors every now and then.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #4 
TankObsessed14

Sorry. I forgot to mention I do the water conditioner. So besides taking out the aquarium salt, is there a way to make him less stressed? I have a picture right above your post.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I edited my comment about his picture

Oh good, sorry to sort of freak out lol. Well, taking out the AQ salt, try to do the twice weekly water changes if you can. Right now you can completely cover his tank and turn the light off. Darkness has a calming effect on Betta's so after the AQ salt is out this should help him calm down a little bit and hopefully perk up the next day.

How long have you had him? I know you said not long, but how many day's/weeks?

And he actually doesn't look too bad in the photo, he's not clamping his fins which is a good sign.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #6 
TankObsessed14

I have had for about a week and a half. I think I just had worried mother syndrome. I also think I googled way to much and now he is stressed because I got stressed. Thanks for the help. I am going to fix his tank now. =]
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

haha yeah, that's okay I was the same way as well. It's also possible that he's still getting use to his surroundings, it often takes them a while to really settle into their new home and realize that they aren't in constant danger by being surrounded by a million other males and stuff. The boy in my avatar took a whole month to finally eat but was a pig when he did eat haha, he's still alive and healthy 10 months later so no worries!

I'm glad that you're on the forum though! We've got a wealth of information to share so never be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they're silly or perhaps there isn't anything wrong ^_^ you'll always learn something new! And I think that's really the best part of a forum