Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 
Morten

Curled fins

Greetings!

New to the forums, but really wanted to hear some opinions.

I purchased my VT male, Peaches, 2 day ago. It was somewhat of an impulse buy, because I've seen him at the store earlier in the week, but he's been moved to the back of the shelf and he looked like he was counting his last days. I didn't think he'd ever be bought.

So I brought this little guy home, put him in a 2 gal tank. That very night he started building a nest. Yesterday it was the size of a quarter and looks about 6x larger today. To me, he seems very happy to be out of that little cup. He's pretty alert and wiggly, eats like a pig, but it appears that the store water did a number on him.

His anal fin has some curling in the back, but it isn't severe. His ventral fins seem to be destroyed, because they look like twigs and I don't think he can open them. His tail and dorsal fin can open, but are pretty stiff. He looks like he's trying to propel himself with a wooden plank when he swims. So far I'm not noticing any diseases or growths. *knocks on wood*

Now that he's had some time to adjust, I'm planning to do a water change. Is there anything I can mix in to help his fins or should I just see if he'll get better on his own? He seems to be able to open them a little more since I got him, but I could be imagining it.

Thanks!
Morten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends on what made his fins curl; there are two things that can make them curl like this: Ammonia and Hard water. Most likely it was ammonia from being in the cup and they will most likely uncurl a little but they will never be actually straight but they might improve a bit.

Basically just lots of water changes, nothing really to mix to help him but keeping the water as healthy and as clean as you can will be the best thing that will happen to him
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote