Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 
Jully

Unhappy Betta fish and a danio

Alright, my friend has a 65 gallon aquarium and it's clean and everything she cleaned it not to long ago, after cycling she added fish 6 danios, 6 cherry barbs, and 6 neon tetras. [She added the fish every 2 weeks, once a group was done she added another group of fish like the cherry barbs after 2 - 3 weeks.]

Anyways, when she added them most of the fished died in less than 3 weeks, one jumped out of the tank, another got stuck in the filter, the cherry barbs got bent spines [I think from her cousin always refilling the water like a lot of pressure hitting the tank and moving all the gravel and the cherry barbs getting covered, maybe why they are bending their spines?]

Anyways, she has one danio left, and I really do not want to see him die, the poor thing is lonely and has no one, he was really skinny from not being fed for weeks, I don't know how he survived.

I offered to take him home but I don't know if I should, I only have a 10 gallon tank that houses my betta, I know danios are not best with betta, but I don't what to let die, many fish have died in that tank, so there must be a LOT of waste, I don't want to bring the danio in if he has any diseases what should I treat him with just in-case.. Is this a bad idea? I just can't watch the poor thing suffer, what should I do and treat him with and do you think this is a good idea?

I need answers ASAP, she is leaving on vacation soon.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #2 
JustinieBeanie

Wow that's sad for the little danio, why was he not fed for weeks?

If your friend is willing, you could take care of the fish in its current tank at her place while she is away. Then if she plans on getting more fish, that one will still be there. But if she does not want the fish (which lets face it, if she was not feeding it for weeks she might not) then you could take the fish and buy a relatively inexpensive several gallon kritter keeper type thing for the danio (with a cheap heater if needed). Since you offered to take the fish, don't forget to ask her for the danio's food and supplies. If she no longer wants the aquarium and set up, you could ask her for that too, if you'd like, then you could put the danio and some buddies in there.

I would ask one of the more experienced people here about putting them together, even if you do end up putting them together the danio possibly has to be quarantined some place separate any way.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #3 
athenr3134

i currently have a sick fish and i was told to never put a sick fish with a healthy fish and vice versa because then that fish will get sick. i have one betta now had two till last Thursday when my Grinchie passed away. you have to change the water weekly and the size of that tank sounded too big for the fish. also you probably should have used dividers and had only two different kinds of fish to start with. since your friend is new to taking care of fish. anyway i am not very experienced either but i have a little bit of common sense when setting up a fish tank. hope this helps
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #4 
cowboy

I put up a post awhile ago (mind you I have a two gallon) and was told it wasn't a good idea. I think the biggest issue was my tank size but I've heard danios nip bettas tails. Hopefully someone with more experience can help but maybe dividing the tank would be a good idea. Not sure, sorry
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #5 
athenr3134

A betta is a Siamese fighting fish... The males will attack another male betta. If you put two male and one female they will fight for the female. A divider keeps the mmale bettas from attacking one another. I have read that before.
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust

In my opinion, zebra danios should have a tank larger than 20 gallons. I have 6 of them in a 55 gallon and they're very active and playful with each other. I also have 6 female bettas in the same tank and the bettas are not bothered by them and vice-versa. It would be good if you could rescue the fish, the only problem is that he needs at least 5 more danios to be with him. He will be very sad without companions of the same type especially since they're so playful with each other. I think they can definitely be with a betta, but you would have to have a large tank (like I said, at least 20 gallons) because the danios need a lot of space and I also think a betta would be bothered by their high energy if he had to be in too close quarters with them.
But you could take him and keep him in a smaller tank temporarily until you can get a 20 gallon aquarium. Keeping him alone for a couple of weeks would also ensure that he is not sick.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
Jully

I don't think he's sick, he's very active on his own, poor little guy, and he would of probably died by now if he was sick, I just can't watch him be like that, he's a Danio alblineatus I believe it's called, very cute, but I know he will die if I leave him, I have his diet type of food, the store owner at the pet shop we got him from is someone we know who's very good with fish and actually has some knowledge while the others have no clue, he does his research and owns a few betta's and has 2, 55 gallon aquariums one is a reef tank and the other is a tropical tank. And he has some betta tanks that are like 10 gallons, they are put into the walls of his house so it looks amazing.

Anyways, is there a way to treat him to make sure, I'm probably going to float him into the tank and see my bettas reaction before I do allow him in.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #8 
Jully

I floated him in my bettas tank, and my betta was just staring at him like "What the heck is this thing?" and my betta kept looking at me than him than me than him, just wondering, no flaring or aggression just looking at him, and than swimming away and staring at him than me again. The danio was going crazy in the bag, biting it and trying to get out, I took him back and put him in my friends tank, he calmed down in the bank when I put him in my friends tank, than out he went.

I really want to save him but I don't want to take the risk if he is a sick fish, because her tank, when I was trying to catch him with the net, a lot of things were floating and if you move the gravel a bunch of dark brown stuff came out and made the water a bit brown.

Therefore I didn't let him or her water in my tank, poor lil guy.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #9 
JustinieBeanie

Do you have a small tank, like a several gallon kk type thing you could keep him in? Maybe you could ask the knowledgeable guy at the pet store for help/ advice?
Keep us posted on what happens and good luck!
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 
Jully

I have a 3 gallon, extra tank but it doesn't have a filter nor a heater. It's way to small for him.

My friend who has a lot of knowledge told me my friend needs to clean out that 55 gallon, ether get rid of the gravel because it's very filthy with feces, dead fish..etc Or rinse it out properly with a hose along with the tank. He told me new gravel is preferred because last time she cleaned it, even putting the gravel back it was still filthy and the stuff in it came back. He said he'd give me free gravel packages if needed. Also, the filter is very strong he told me and she needs to do something to fix it up, like maybe adding a aquarium sponge and tinkering it a bit so the fish don't get caught. [One of her cherry barbs actually had gotten in the filter, luckily I was there and pulled the poor little thing out, he didn't get hurt luckily.]

I agree with him about the gravel, he told me after her getting it cleaned out to rinse out any new decorations and gravel and soak it in hot water, add it to the tank, the solution to make the tank safe like [dechlorinator] and after that let the tank cycle.

She's way to busy to do that though, so I told her, if that danio dies, than don't buy anymore and she said "We'll see....what happens, I don't know maybe I might get goldfish next..."

Tags
betta, danio, together? dieases.