Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #11 
jaysee
Reference Team

I have to be honest, I have never spent 2 seconds worrying about a bettas ability to handle the current in the tanks I've kept them in. I recognize that some variants are particularly vulnerable to "too much" current, but for the regular old bettas I've kept it's never been a problem. I don't do anything particular with the decor - like you said there are parts of the tank that will have more current than others.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #12 
Veoren

That is one beautifully arranged tank Torla! I love the caste, I'm a bit envious.. Looks like a piece of hogwarts.

Yeah I don't think I have too much to worry. I already installed a water bottle buffer just in case, the two currents that come out of it I feel barely 2 inches into the water. It's better than the sponge because I do see tiny bubbles form, a few. That's good right?

Anyway I don't know if something's wrong with my Betta, but he loves swimming around beneath the currents. Though I'm not sure if that's him thinking there's a larger body of water behind the current, beyond the glass. It does look a bit like glass surfing, a bit.

He probably needs some time to get used to right? Maybe seeing the surface of the water in constant motion stresses him? Then again, that's just him needing to get used to it right? If that's the case, well, the side opposite to the filter in the tank has water that barely moves.

Can a betta really "enjoy" swimming around near the current?
Veoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veoren View Post

Can a betta really "enjoy" swimming around near the current?
Of course. If it didn't, it wouldn't...
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard some members say that their betta enjoyed playing in the current.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #15 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I've heard some members say that their betta enjoyed playing in the current.
Some will enjoy playing with it, but not living in it. It's tiring for them. They just weren't designed for it. One of my males (RIP) used to love playing near the filter, he would rush into it and tumble over and over. More regularly though he avoided that area of the tank. This was the lowest setting on a small whisper filter, which caused a lot more current when I had the tank divided with some mesh - the current was on one side and he didn't have anywhere to go but hang out against the front glass where it pushes him. Eventually I put some plants under where the water was falling and he swam around the entire space more frequently.

These are bettas that live in ponds - not salmon who swim up river. They've adapted to live in such water. Regardless of how far back our domesticated bettas are related to the wild types - their design has just been made worse by the fact they're bred to have mostly large fins.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote