Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #21 
MollyJean

I'm sure, if he thrives, I'll be getting a bigger tank sooner or later, and probably a few live plants (at least that's something I do know) and I WANT more fish, but I'm realistic about this. I know I need to learn what he needs and how to take care of him before I complicate things. To be honest, I didn't expect or want him at first, I still don't expect him to survive in my crazy house, and I want to make sure he's gonna make it before I go investing 100 bucks in him. Does that sound mean? I really hope not, I'm just being realistic about it all.

I have 30 other animals to take care of, lol, so for now, Lunch is low priority.

Last edited by MollyJean; 12-30-2009 at 02:13 AM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #22 
Kelso

Nah, that's not mean. As long as he is taken care of...he doesn't need to live a lavish life, just as long he gets the basics. Bettas are very undemanding.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I understand where you're coming from. It sounds to me like you have enough to take care of without adding one more. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #24 
vaygirl

It's good to be realistic, really. I have one betta guy and four cories in a planted 16 gallon. I also have two cats and a basset hound. Right now it's all I can handle. I dream big but I don't want to overextend myself. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #25 
MollyJean

I have.. ready?

2 horses
3 cows (the calf is about 7 months old
6 pigs (breeding pair with 4 pigglets)
3 potbelly pigs
11 chickens
a rooster
3 inside cats
1 outside cat

the potbellys, 3 of the cats and the rooster are all disabled and have to be medicated daily. Needless to say, I have my hands full. But I have a big family, and everyone chips in. I love animals. Lunch is no different. He might not get a mansion any time soon, but I'm doing my best to make him happy.

Went out and got a heater yesterday. It's not making any noise yet, and he's at a happy 79/80 degrees (it's been going up and down a little, but only a degree or two). I got the right food for him, and he's enjoying it. I had been giving him the shrimp in small bits, one piece at a time, to cut down on water clouding, so he's kind of trained to come up to the top and wait for the pellets, it's so cute! He's all cleaned out, too. The water hasn't fogged up in the last 36 hours. I also got him a plastic plant, which I'll have to put in next time I change water, because I forgot about it this time, and a ceramic angel/fairy thing we found at the pet store. My daughter picked it out. He's been sleeping in this little U shaped crook between the figure's face and a branch, and seems really happy there. It's kind of big, though, so I might look for something smaller.

I understand if he's happy, healthy and ready to spawn, he'll blow bubbles? I guess that's what I'm waiting for now, some bubbles, so I know he's happy. I guess he's in good shape now, I'll get a picture of him.

Oh, and I found a 6 gallon tank I might get (On E bay) if the bidding doesn't go to high. So who knows, he might get a mansion after all.

Last edited by MollyJean; 12-31-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #26 
bettaowner101

78 degrease would be perfect for the tank. I am not sure about bamboo but, try to get some silk plants. Do not get plastic plants because they will tear their fins badly. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Oh, take out uneaten food in the tank because that clouds up the tank a lot. Also, When I put new water in my tank, My tank gets a little cloudy on the glass. I just scrub it off and it's gone. It has to do something with my horrible Tap water.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #27 
MollyJean

So no plastic plants? Good thing I didn't put that one in, then. Hmm.. I'll have to go out again. He's liking his angel thing at least, and can hide behind it for now.

The water clouding was from all the shrimp and bloodworms. I wasn't giving him the pellets, but now that I am, he's doing better. There's always that one left when he's done and I get that one out, so no food in the bowl when he's done eating.

I did have a lot of bubbles on the inside of the glass when I changed out all the water yesterday. Is that normal? most of them are gone now, though. Maybe I just poured it in too fast.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #28 
orangeclumsy2

i was at walmart just today. I like to go and see if they have any pretty bettas, and when i went to the place where they sell the fish at walmart, i was horrified at what i saw. there were freshwater and saltwater fish. there were a whole lot of really big goldfish in this one like, 7-10 gallon tank, and there was a dead one at the bottom, and the other fish were EATING it! those fish are NOT sufficiently fed. it breaks my heart to see all those fish living in such poor conditions. all the tanks were FILTHY! there was another tank with a bunch of other fish, and there were like 3 big dead fish at the top! Walmart also had a sign that had a phone # on it. it said to call this number for information on caring for your new fish. WALMART DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO INFORM PEOPLE ABOUT TAKING CARE OF THEIR FISH IF THEY CANT TAKE CARE OF THE FISH THAT THEY SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! the bettas are in TINY little 1/8 gallon cups. it sickens me.
orangeclumsy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #29 
MollyJean

I'm so glad our Walmart never sells fish. I remember when I was little the one in Knoxville sold them and every time we went I wanted to go see the fish, but there where always a bunch of dead ones in the tanks.

But, for a walmart find, this one is doing a lot better then I thought it would. He's still going strong, and I've only noticed two small problems, which might not be problems at all. Anyone got any ideas?

The color on top of his head has rubbed off. I didn't really notice this until I put a light over him to take a few pictures. It really does look like the color rubbed off, because at the edge of the "bald" spot, some of the scales are partly colored.

Lost coloring. "bald" spot on Lunch's head.

He also has a couple of fens that, for lack of a better word, 'curl'. The one on top in this picture is curled. It's a lot worse then it looks in the pictures. And there are two on his pectoral fens that do the same.

Curled upper fin.

I'm wondering if the color will come back on his head, and if the curls are a sign of rot or something? It looks natural to me, but I'm a noob. Any ideas?