Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #1 
CrashTeapot

Question Betta filter, too strong?

Hi I'm pretty new to Betta keeping and to this forum. I set up my tank earlier in the week and did all the appropriate things. Today I went to the store to choose a fish. I picked one out and brought him home and let him get used to the tank. I found however, that he mostly stayed behind the filter and was not very active. I had read on here and other sites that the current caused by the filter can stop them from enjoying the tank as much.
As a bit of an experiment I turned the filter off and now he's darting around and checking everything out and generally looks a lot happier.

I have a 20L tank (just over 5gallons) and 25watt heater.
My question is can I leave the filter off? I was told to do 20-30% water changes twice a week and I have a gravel vacuum. Or do I turn it back on and he'll get used to it? Can I just have it on for a couple of hours a day.

Any answers are appreciated.
CrashTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #2 
GinjaHaZ

There's a DIY water bottle baffle in the habitat and accessories forum that easy to make. I have them on both of my filters and they work well.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's probably safer to tie aquarium sponge over the outflow of your filter. He might get used to a certain amount of current.

In any case, don't use the filter part-time. I'd do without for a while while he gets used to the tank. However, you can experiment to find out what he'll tolerate; many Betta like some current. Do a 50% water change per week with vacuum. Always use Prime or Amquel+ in your temperature-matched refill water.

Eventually, you'll want to cycle your tank. That provides the best and safest water quality for your fish. Read up on it and ask questions--- and invest in water test kit like this one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378976173&sr=8-1&keywords=API+test+kit]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote