Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldfishlady water change recommendations

121K views 361 replies 117 participants last post by  cfaye3char 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lots of different ways to successfully keep this species-

Based on the experiments I have conducted over the years-I have found that water quality can be maintained by these water change schedules. This is based on feeding quality foods and not overfeeding-since most water quality problems are due to poor quality foods and overfeeding more than byproducts produced by the Betta.

You don't want to base water change needs on water test ALONE-The test result can be helpful too, however, we don't test for the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that also build up that can be problematic.

All tanks need at least weekly-to-twice weekly water changes and water changes based on water prams of-Ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and Nitrate of 40ppm or greater-It is best to keep nitrate under 20ppm.

If using plants fert-make water change-then add the ferts so you will remove any unused ferts so the algae can't to help prevent algae problems. With that said, some species of algae can be good and a sign of a healthy system, however, the aquarium is still a closed system and manual removal will still be needed on occasion.

Remember-some products/additives used in the tank can cause skewed test results. Have a base line with your source water with and without these products so you don't make unneeded water changes based on skewed results.

Tanks:
1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%

1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

1-4gal with/without filter and with live plants-
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.

5-9gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum-with 90-100% monthly

5-9gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum

5-9gal with/without filter and with live plants
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.

10+gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum and 90-100% as needed based on stocking

10+gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum

10+gal with/without filter and with live plants

You want to vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots. It is best not to move decorations around-but if you need to or you want to change things around-Be sure and vacuum well under items-you may or may not need to make 2 back to back water changes in order to get the excess mulm/debris buildup under items.
If you do-don't clean the filter media or clean the non-viewing walls-especially in cycled tanks to prevent min-cycle/spikes.

When you vacuum-Unplug both the filter and heater-Then plunge the vacuum deep into the substrate and as the mulm/debris clear in a second or two-move and repeat.
You will not get all the mulm/debris and this is okay-Once you refill with like temp dechlorinated water and turn the filter back on the water should clear within the hour-even without a filter the water should clear. If not, you either missed a water change, over feeding or overstocked.

It is best to leave the Betta in the tank with partial water changes.
When making 100% water changes and you cup the Betta-be sure and properly acclimate back to the new chemistry like you do with a new Betta-By adding small amounts of the new tank water to the holding container over 10-15min or to tolerance-Net and add to the tank without adding the holding containers water.
Be sure and have some extra dechlorinated water on hand to use for top offs if needed.

Too clean can sometimes be as bad as too dirty-We all know what too dirty can do-but too clean and too many water changes especially 100% water changes can be stressful, disrupt the balance of the good and bad bacteria/pathogens and antibody development. Its hard for life to be maintained in too clean and sterile conditions.

I am not saying to not make water changes-what I am saying is that this species doesn't produce the amount of byproduct that you think and removal of all the organics in the tank too often can disrupt the balance and by removing all the bad you are removing the good that helps to keep the bad controlled.....Balance.....

Remember-to always wash hand well before and after working on your tank/Betta. And to unplug both the heater and filter...Safety for both you and your wet-pet.....​

See less See more
#197 ·
I love , appreciate Oldfishlady so much for all her dedicating and help.I think she know how much people love her from everyone that she helped, from messages in her visitor box and pm's that people sent her with appreciation. I hope she will come back to help many other people and bettas. And i don't understand what is the matter or issue can be, because the only matter that she and many other people are coming daily on this forum dedicating so much time and knowledge to -HELP. I am on the forum for 3 years and at any time i am messaging some people on this forum including Oldfishlady, i always get help. Some people really amaze me including Oldfishlady putting so much time and knowledge helping daily many people. If you care about your loved bettas then all we need just really log in and try to help as much as we can. Those people who do that daily can not overview all thread that are coming daily every minute from people who has no idea what to do next . So please who has enough knowledge to help, JUST LOG IN AND HELP, that all it matter if you love those creatures and don't want them to die at least with the owners that want them. They die a lot in the stores, owners who abandoned them . Bettas world sad enough with out us making a drama,we dont even have time for it ,if you just log in and try to help people who are new to bettas and don't even know how to change the water. Sorry for my long talk and repeating my self. And have fun too, chatting with each other like we all need our time for brake.

#198 ·
So, my tank is in the group "1-4gal with/without filter and with live plants" that says "This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes."...Actually, i have a 2 gallon tank with a sponge filter and with one plant, i guess medium growth Microsorum pteropus....And one betta :) My question is, is it better to do a 50% changes once or twice a week? Any help is appreciated ;-)

#201 ·
Not sure about siphon because i don't use it. I just do the water changes without that. But when you do water change you need to rinse the filter
To do this, first you want to get a container and put some tank water in it. (NEVER use tap or new water as this will kill your marvelous bacteria colony you have waited so patiently to grow.) Remove the air line and tubing from the sponge. Place the sponge in the container of tank water and gently squeeze a few times. Replace the tube and air line and reset into tank.

And when you do full water change you need to acclimate your betta to the new water to make sure you don't shock him with the temp difference.
Do you need instructions on acclimation?

#204 ·
Well he is a little better now...He is swiming for a while, and then he hides in his hole and lays on the bottom....he was much more active these days...so i'm little woried...he eats like always, so that is not a problem...And another thing, his fins are not spread as they were until now..i assume that it's just adaptation to a new environment..

#207 ·
Good evening Jovancheck. Did you treat your water with a water treatment before you added your fish back to the tank? If you didn't, it maybe why your fish is listless. Tap water contains chlorine and other additives which are not safe for our betta fishes. The decholorinator treatments such as API Stress Coat helps to remove unwanted additives for our betta fish tanks. You get API water treatments at Petsmart, Petco or Walmart. Hope this helps you out. Happy swimming. Also, post a picture of your betta fish so that a more experience betta fish owner can see what is wrong and reply back to you. Good night.

#214 ·
Add me to the list of people begging you to update or rewrite you WC recommendations. The last sticky you wrote was my WC program. It is simple, through and logical.

#218 ·
By doing 50% changes with vacuum, your tank will eventually cycle. This is a good thing. Keep to your water change schedule and don't wash your decor or tank walls. Nitrifying bacteria grow on surfaces. Let them grow.

This is for a 10g tank. Smaller tanks have different requirements.

#219 ·
I have my Betta in approx 3-4 gallon bowl (I don't know exactly how much I never measured before I put him in). I have a large live plant and and gravel in the tank. I don't have a filter but I change 25% of the water weekly. My fish is very active and he always eats all his food. I tested the water for ammonia a couple of days after I did a partial water change and the result was 0.

Does it sound like I'm doing all the right things for my fish. I don't have a heater yet but I live in Australia and it is currently summer so I will consider getting one in winter.

#220 ·
You have a water test kit. Good. Let the results determine the frequency of water changes. When you read ANY ammonia, do a 50% water change with conditioner. After a while, you'll learn how often to change water.

Even in summer a heater helps by keeping the water at the same temperature all the time. This is even more important than keeping it at any given temperature, like 78*.

#222 ·
If you have one that the instructions that came say simply move the gravel tube up and down rapidly. I had the same problem. I bought the rubber bulb that some vacuums come with and attached the bulb in between the gravel tube and the outlet and it worked fine.

I hope this helps.:)

Reactions: dramaqueen
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.