Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #1 
tiffanyswisher

Post best heater for new 5 gallon tank.........

I just put my betta Jack in his new 5 gallon tank (he's loving it) and I'm wondering which heaters are best for it. I live in Nevada so it's pretty warm here, but soon the temp will start dropping and I want to be prepared! He's my very first betta and I started him out in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl but now that he's bigger the 5 will be great! My main concern is that the water will get too hot, which will kill him. It might get too cold, which could also kill him! Im calling upon on you knowledgeable fish owners for advice......thx!

Btw: I named him after Jack from titanic cuz eventually he'll die and float to the bottom. Morbid, I know, but what can I say, it suits him!
tiffanyswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #2 
Kittiesdragons

I personally like my Marina heater. I have the C10 which only goes to 2.65 Gallons but I know they have bigger ones. I'd aim for around 10 to 15 watts and try to find one with a safety shut off. I've also heard good things about the Hydor brand though I have no experience with those.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 
FirstBetta

Depending on what you want to spend there are at least two brands that will physically fit in a 5 gallon tank. The least expensive is the Hydor 25W at about $20 from amazon or the or the Cobalt at about $50.

Please don't buy a nonadjustable heater w/o a thermostat. They will simply heat the water to "x" deg above room temp. You want the temp to be fairly constant. I live in the SoCal desert near Death Valley so my heaters don't come on in the summer but do in the fall, winter and spring. My Air keeps the temp in my condo about 78F which is where the heaters at set.

Don't be surprised if the temp in the tank is somewhat different from the setting on the heater. The Cobalt says it will keep the temp at +/-0.5f from the setting. Presumably that is what the $50 buys you.

Last edited by FirstBetta; 09-12-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote