Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #91 
Aalistair

Alright, I might as well post an update. Over 48 hours and not a single Ich in sight. I think he's still constipated though. His stomach is bulging a bit, and it's really light red and pink under there. He doesn't seem to have buoyancy issues or anything though, and he swims straight. When he's not looking for food though, he rests on objects with his fins kind of clamped.

The Maracyn 2 has not arrived yet, and I'm really worried about his popeye. Both his eyes are pretty bad now, and I've seen him run into the glass a couple of times, so I'm guessing it's negatively affecting his eyesight. He can still follow my figure and finger, so that's good. I just hope this medicine does the trick when it gets here before it's too late...
Aalistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #92 
Aalistair

Doesn't look like anyone's here anymore, but I'll still post an update.

Three days and no sign of any Ich. The temp has been roughly 88 since Mon/Tues.

For his popeye, the Maracyn 2 instructions said two packets per 10 gallons, but since he's in a 6.5, I just added one packet yesterday evening. Today, (13 hours later) I added another half a packet, then did a 25% water change this afternoon (6 hours later, I also did not add any Epsom since it doesn't seem to be doing squat). Both his eyes are pretty bad, but one is definitely worse than the other. Gonna try to grab some Maracyn 1 tomorrow to add to his treatment.

Next, as for his constipation, I fasted him for a day and fed him a piece of a pea this morning. I haven't noticed any difference in belly size, but I believe I saw a small piece of brown stringy poop when I did the water change. It was getting sucked up into the filter. I don't know whether too feed him dinner or not. Though he doesn't seem to have buoyancy issues, he does spend a lot more time swimming with his belly close to or touching the floor. I'm pretty sure he's still feeling weighted down since he seems to swim for a short distance, then stop and rest for about 20 second before going again.

On a positive note, his fins don't appear to be clamped (at least not when I'm around), and he still has an appetite. Fortunately, his eyes don't appear to be cloudy, just really pushed out. I hope that's a good thing. Finally, I removed some of his toys and I'm letting them dry out to hopefully kill any remaining Ich, and I replaced them with some of his old toys I removed last Friday and have been drying ever since. Is there a certain time when I can put them back in?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #93 
LittleBlueFishlets

Ich can't survive longer than about 3 days without a host. So if they've been out of the tank for 3+ days, you should be fine. (Not to mention that drying things out will kill organisms faster. So you'll be doubly fine.)

I don't recall if I suggested mosquito larvae before. This is a betta's natural diet. If you can find some, this would be a great food for him and should help with any constipation. I usually suck them up with a turkey baster, then squirt a little tank water in to rinse them, then use the baster to drop a couple into the tank.

If you can't get mosquito larvae, you can try frozen daphnia. Feed this right before a water change though, since it can get a little messy.

If he's having trouble swimming, you can lower the water level a little.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #94 
Aalistair

I'm glad you're here. I don't have access to any of those things though.

I'm happy he's not just sitting in one spot, but he just moves from one spot to lay down in to another. I don't know what that means. His tummy is still very light pink-ish, which I believe coupled with his lack of activity, means he's still quite constipated. Should I feed him a pellet or a pea tonight since that's all I have other than shrimp and bloodworms? Also, checked my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and they're really low. Ammonia's at 0, Nitrite is .25, and Nitrate is between 5 and 10ppm. I was worried cause I saw him yawn twice, so I checked the parameters.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #95 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't think occasional yawning is an issue.

I wouldn't give him a pea.... Try a pellet. He needs good nutrition to keep his immune system strong. Protein is good nutrition for them.

If the pellet seems too large for him, use a fingernail to break one apart.

Your water parameters look excellent.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #96 
Aalistair

Alright, I gave him the smallest pellet I could find.

The temperature is still 88 but...I swear it looks like there's two or three little glinting white spots on his body. I don't want to believe it, but...could there still be Ich in there? I feel devastated, I thought treatment would end soon...
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #97 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, some of the parasites are probably still embedded in him. They're now getting ready to emerge, which is what's causing the white spots..... This is why you need to continue the 88F temperature for 3 days after you stop seeing the white spots. It's because some of the parasites are still emerging....

BUT this isn't a sign that his condition is getting worse. It's the usual course of ich.... It starts to look better. A few white spots show up. You keep treating..... And eventually, all of the parasites die..... You keep treating for 3 more days just to be sure, anyway..... At some point, you'll have killed them all. (Die evil little parasites, die!)

So he ate the pellet? This is good. I would feed him small, frequent meals like this throughout the day. It will help his immune system stay strong.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #98 
Aalistair

I pray you're right. I thought this would be simple (taking care of a Betta), but it's so stressful. I just want him to be happy and healthy.

But yeah, his appetite has never left. Which makes me happy. I think I would start pulling chunks of my hair out if he was this sick AND wasn't eating. He ate the food up and he's looking for more at the top. I'm kind of worried about feeding him snacks because it was only after I divided his meals in to three (1 pellet in the morn, 1 in the afternoon after a water change, and 1 or 2 at night before bed) that he got constipated again. Should I start pre-soaking them or something?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #99 
LittleBlueFishlets

What brand are you feeding him? (I think I asked this already, but I don't want to sort through 10 pages of posts. LOL)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #100 
Aalistair

It's okay, I feel the same way.

I'm only feeding him Omega pellets right now since they have the most protein.

Tags
ich, ick, infection