Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
Mitra

Got given an overstocked tank?

Hi I helped someone move today and they didn't know what to with their fish so my girlfriend offered to take them. The only fish I know about are bettas, and the only other aquatic animal i know how to care for are african dwarf frogs.

So basically the 10 gallon (im sure it is way too small for the fish i have) has 1 big orange goldfish, 1 smaller white/orange goldfish, 3 neon tetras, 2 amano shrimp and 1 small suckerfish (i think a pleco, but it is really small). Sooo I have no idea what to do with these. I want to get more neon tetras since they school but i doubt there is room? The owner has had these fish for a year and a half so they arent in any immediate danger as long as i keep the partial water changes up. Will the suckerfish grow anymore? If not can I add three neon tetras? The tetras arent extremely active as they prob arent very confident. Can anyone give me advice thank you!
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I would give away or find new homes for the two goldfish and the pleco. A 10 gallon tank is much too small for any of these fish and it would be cruel to keep them in it any longer.

Then I would bump up the school of neon tetras to around six individuals.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #3 
Mitra

The only tank bigger i can find right now is http://yktrader.com/classifieds/details?AN=43251

If there is already 3 goldfish in that would adding my fish not work either?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #4 
shannonpwns

You're willing to spend $300 to keep 2 goldfish that you got for free? Lol. I'd just rehome them. A 55 gal isn't big enough for 5 full grown goldfish. I'm assuming they are just comets, which can grow up to 12".
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #5 
Mitra

I'm in university so its tough, but that's pretty much what happened to my betta. How would i rehome them? The neon tetras are tropical fish right? Is it unhealthy that they are in with goldfish? Water temp is at 72. I wanna get the neon tetras out of their asap but i have no idea where to put them and the suckerfish (do I have an actual baby pleco that will grow to be large or are their small species too?)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

If you keep the goldfish( and plec) you will need a bigger tankin the 30 to 55 gallon range

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you have a PetCo around you, you can usually drop off the fish there in a bag or something. You won't get money for it but they just adopt them out if the fish are healthy, which it seems they are.

You can also put ads up on Craigslist, Facebook and other social medias. I would personally just give them to PetCo though if they'll take them. You might want to call ahead to ask though just in case. Also someone with a pond might take them, I know I would since we do have a goldfish pond
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 
Mitra

Thanks for the tips. I have all the supplies i need for a 10 gallon (extra sponge filter and 50 watt heater). I've decided to give the two goldfish back to the pet store. Since they are full grown they may not get bought, but they have a good sized home at the store at least. I'm gonna keep the pleco and when it grows too large I will have time to buy a 55 gallon tank (is that big enough?) Once the goldfish are out i will buy 3-6 more neon tetras with the 2 shrimps and temporary pleco. Until then I will be sure to do 50% water changes for the crowded tank.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

If you are able to find a good independent fish store the goldfish might have a better chance of being adopted. A lot of people with ponds really want big goldfish and will pay a LOT of money for them. My one really good LFS store carries the BIG goldfish and Koi for upwards of 30 to 75 bucks. They're actually pretty valuable. :)

I doubt that a petco or a petsmart (or any chain store) is going to cater to a clientele like that though, so if you can find it, a *good* independent is the way to go for their best chances in terms of the goldfish. :)

Good luck to you though, and I'm glad that they've got you now so that they can get a proper home. :)
Blue Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #10 
shannonpwns

Can you post a pic of the pleco? Some plecos grow to 2 feet long, and some stay only 6 inches or smaller. It really depends on what kind it is! :) I have 2 plecos in my pond that I got a few months ago at 3 inches, and now two months later, they are already 6 inches long. They can grow very fast if they are the common pleco species.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote