Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 
SurfinCrab

Need Filter Recommedations

Hi.
I need help in choosing a filter. I currently have 3, 2.5gal glass aquariums for 3 of my 4 guys. I'm considering filters for them. I currently change the water in the tanks 100% every 4th day (change day 1, day 2, day 3, change day 4). They are very happy little dudes. Anyway, even though the whole cycling thing scares me, I think it might be good. The three filters I'm considering are: the Azoo Mignon 60, Whisper 3i, Hagen underwater Mini. I've also seen Lee's Triple flow corner filter small.

I want to leave as much room in the tank for guys as possible.

Bonus question- Are Moss Balls good for anything but looks?

Thanks.
SurfinCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Moss balls are awesome and will help cut down on the ammonia in your tank. They are great to have. :)

As for filters, I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned, but I'm a big fan of sponge filters. I had HOB's for quite some time, and finally decided to try a sponge filter in one tank...and within the month I'd ditched all my HOB's and moved everyone over to sponges. :) They're fairly small and don't take up much space, they give *lots* of surface area for the bacteria you need to cycle to grow in/live on, they're completely betta-safe, you don't have to baffle them or worry about anyone getting sucked into the intake, and sometimes in the smaller tanks they're just about the only way to get them cycled. (Again, because they provide the surface area that small tanks can lack.)

As for brands, they really are pretty much six one half dozen the other. They're the same principle and all work about the same. Just get whatever one is cheapest or you like the look of the best. :) Keep in mind though, you'll need the sponge filter, an airstone, an airpump, and some airline tubing. These will probably need to be purchased separately, but still should be cheaper than the vast majority of HOB filters. :)

Cycling sounds scary but it's really not. Do you understand how it works? It took me forever to figure out all the bits of information I had read and seen at first. :) But I was *so* glad when the tanks had all cycled and I was doing so much less water changing and my boys had better water quality. :)
I'm not an expert on it (there are some people on here who know everything there is to know about it, Halyx is particularly well-informed), but I understand the major points of the cycle and I can outline them for you in a fairly easy way if you're in need. :) Just PM me. :)
Maybe I'm just slow, but the entire process seemed really daunting at first, and I'd hate to think that anyone else felt that way as well. :)

Happy cycling! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 
SurfinCrab

Thanks Blue Fish.
I"ll get a few mossballs. I think the guys would like them.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

I've actually had all three of these filters.
I can say that you definitely don't want the Whisper 3i. It gets clogged up really easy and becomes extremely loud as it gets older. This is the filter that came with the tank I bought and I haven't even touched it because of my past experience and what I've read from others having problems with it, too.
Personally, I use the hagen mini in the tank I have right now because it's very compact for the amount of water it moves and I don't have room for a HOB filter with the lid.
I had the azoo on my 2.5 glass aquarium for a long time and I absolutely loved it. It was excellent to cycle with and I was able to add what I wanted in it. Instead of using a cartridge like most filters, I bought carbon pads and sponges and cut them down to size and stuffed them in the compartment. I was able to slow the water current down this way too for my bettas that didn't like movement all that much. Plus it added area for bacteria to live on and if I needed to kick start another tank's cycle I could just borrow a sponge from my azoo.

I would definitely get the azoo as I think that's your best bet with cycling. I've never cycled any tanks with my hagen mini so I'm not sure how well it works for that.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #5 
SurfinCrab

Thanks for the info.
I might get one of each and see whats better. I have 7 tanks-3=2.5 gal, 3=1 gal, and a Fluval Spec. I'm not sure about the full cycling thing as the tanks are small. But, I think water movement might be good for the tank. I'd still be changing 100% every 4 days on the 2.5's and the Fluval. Every other on the 1 gals. I hate dirty water. And am paranoid(sp) about fin rot and stuff.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Yeah no problem! I'd definitely try to cycle the 2.5s at least. It's so much healthier and easier for the fish because they don't constantly have to be readjusting to different water parameters.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

If it were me, I would go with 3 small sponge filters, that way you can run all 3 off one airpump. There are some smallish sponge filters out there.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #8 
Stone

small sponge filter works good and cheap with free shipping http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-inter...er-caf-10.html
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #9 
NorthernLights

I have a Jardin mini sponge filter in a 3 gallon right now. Seems to be working well.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #10 
FirstBetta

+1^. All of the above are wise choices and will do a good job for You. I had a AZOO Mignon on a 2.5 that I had originally wanted to use for my Betta. It turned out to be too noisy for me. I switched to a sponge filter. Worked just as well and absolutely quiet. Obviously you will need a air pump for the sponge filter if you use it. To avoid having a noisy air pump think about putting on the floor or so other large stiff heavy object. I first put the air pump on a bookshelf, it produced a noise about like the hum of some of the older fluorescent fixture. I move it to the floor next to the bookshelves, NO noise. You will want a air line control valve and if you live in an area with frequent poser outages it is agood idea to put in a check valve (one way valve) to prevent water flowing into the pump during a power outage. I found the best place as far price to be Amazon. The total price for all of the stuff I mentioned is comparable to the cost of a HOB.

Last edited by FirstBetta; 09-14-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote