Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

i agree but i thought that you meant if the filter is there? Or its doesn't matter? I think Jovancheck took the filter out . I also thought it still good idea to use the water conditioner because even well water can contain the heavy metals?:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #32 
ao
TFK Moderator

water conditioners should be used :O what's the OP using right now? I'm confused by all the names too

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #33 
ANHEL123

He don't use anything right now. He has fish for a few weeks and so far did 2 water changes. The first water change was just aged water and betta was fine, that is why i decided that its well water.
The second time when he change the water he put the Sera Bio Nitrivec and the fish got bit lethargic right after a water change and acclimation. So i offered to do a few water changes and take the filer out until we figure out what is going on. So after a few water changes i hope he feels better now. I think it a early morning now in Serbia so i guess we found out what is going on tomorrow. But yes there is no water conditioner was used only the Sera Bio.
I just though it a good idea to have a water conditioner and in Serbia that is the option. So i think its a good idea to ask the store what they are using for the bettas.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #34 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Jovancheck,

It sounds like your fish was OK until you moved him into the new larger tank. Is that correct?

For now, can you move him back into the smaller tank?

Here is what I'm thinking:
  • If he is OK in the smaller tank, it's likely that the problem is something with the big tank. This could be water quality, the new filter, a new decoration, etc.
  • If he still has problems after going back into the smaller tank, then the problem is fish-related (not tank related). And we can use his symptoms to determine what's wrong with him.

1) Transfer him back to the small tank.

Follow whatever procedure you normally use when you do your regular water change, and put him back into the small tank.

Let us know if this helps him recover.

2) Remove all the water and everything new from the big tank.

Since your tank is still new, I would just dump out all the water and start over right now.

Also, whatever is new in the big tank, remove it. It's possible that something new is bothering him. For example, some decorations have paints that pollute the water. This can be irritating for the fish. For now, I would remove anything that is new. Just put it aside for now.

3) Refill the tank with new water. Only use decorations that were in his old tank. Don't use anything new yet.

4) Get either the SERA TOXIVEC or TETRA AQUA SAFE water conditioner. Add it to the large tank.

Sera Bio Nitrivec - the product description says it: "Breaks down ammonium and nitrite due to the included purification bacteria...." But ammonium (NH4+) isn't as much of an issue as ammonia (NH3). And this product won't neutralize chlorine/chloramines.... Ammonia, chlorine and chloramines can all be toxic to fish.

I would get the the Sera Toxivec or Tetra Aqua Safe conditioners. Both neutralize/remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.

Sera Toxivec
also neutralizes ammonia, so if possible, I would get this one.

5) If your fish is now feeling better, move him into the big tank.

To do this:
1) Add a small amount of water from the large tank into his small tank.
2) Wait about 15 minutes.
3) Repeat the above two steps 3 more times, until an hour has passed.
4) Gently release him into the big tank.

6) Watch him closely. See how he is doing.

If he is OK, add the filter back in. Watch him for 2 days to see if he is OK.

If he is with the filter, then add any new decorations - ONE AT A TIME. Wait at least 2 days after adding each item.

If he looks like he isn't feeling well after a new item is added, remove the item and do a partial water change.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #35 
ao
TFK Moderator

OP moved his fish back to a smaller tank in post 25 :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #36 
Jovancheck

Good morning :) Today he is still the same...here is a picture of him lying on the bottom of his small tank. But he is still in the old water from his larger tank.
Name:  100_0323.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  40.2 KB
First i am SHE :) But never mind :) I have to correct you, yes i have him for 2 weeks now, but until the day before yesterday he lived in a small tank, and i did a regular water changes every 3 days, changing 90% of the water, and i didn't use any water conditioner, water just sit up for 24 h or more, to remove chlorine. And he was perfectly fine, NEVER stayed on the bottom. Then when i decided to move him to a larger tank i added Sera Nitrivec for the first time.

Now i am going to the store to try to find either Sera Toxivec or Tetra aqua safe. As soon as i get it, i will come home, and add a water conditioner to a water that i have sitting up for 17 hours now. And than i will change the old water from the smaller tank he is in now first, to see how he acts...than i will fallow other steps that LittleBlueFishlets gave me. Thank you very much, i will keep you posted, i hope he can make it
Jovancheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #37 
Jovancheck

So i bought Sera Aquatan, please tell me that it is ok :( They didn't have anything else...I put it in the water that stayed 17 h and waited for some 10 minutes (it says 5 ml per 20 l of water, i had about 8 l of water, so i put about 2.5 ml in it). First i changed 50 % of his old water, than waited for about 20 minutes, than changed about 70 % of the water...he is moving around, and then back to the bottom...Now i will wait some time, because of the temperature, and than i will change 100% of the water...I hope i am doing right...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #38 
Jovancheck

Still doing the same....poor guy, i don't know how to help him anymore...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Sorry i just logged in i need to read what you wrote....i ll be back
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #40 
ANHEL123

Is it what you have?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19302452?w...651996&veh=sem

What i would do now just observe him.
Fill up the jug with new water again until next change. Do not put water conditioner yet. Let it sit out , you can put water conditioner like 5 min before the water change. I would have a few jugs if you can so you have extra water if you need.
You already changed 50 and 70% of the water any way so wait until next change. He is the same not worse? Is he eating?
Not sure what time now in the Serbia but is there any chance you can buy a spring water there in case you need it and then you also will have extra jog of the water?

Tags
depressed, stressed, unhappy